• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loans from EBTs and other Trusts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    You are exactly right - HMRC will often use a sledgehammer to crack a nut approach to prove a point. Many years back they went after a vicar - the monies put on the church plate at Easter were always kept by the vicar as a tradition - HMRC decided they constituted earnings and therefore should be taxed - they pursued the case and won; it wasn't the tax on a few quid that they were concerned about, it was the opportunity to set a precedent.
    Render unto Caesar what is due unto Caesar.

Comment

This is what will happen to the government down the line with this retrospective payment fiasco - probably after I'm dead and gone sadly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...2bn-taxes.html
      Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
      http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Campaigning against accelerated payment legislation.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...gislation.html

Comment

Please support and share

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...-retrospective

Comment

New template letter to send to your MP

http://notoretrotax.org.uk/public-do...May%202014.doc

Comment

Good job, DR!
              If I can just give my 2p: you might want to encourage your members to seek a face to face meeting with their MPs.
              Not only is time running short, but in our own experience, a letter is likely to be "missed" at worst, or at best yield a generic response parroting David Gauke's piss-poor arguments we have heard all too often already.
              And these are easily debunked in 5 mins of talk by someone familiar with the topic.

www.dotas-scandal.org
              Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                OK, I've thought it though.

I've changed my mind. (I'm allowed, I'm a Mod. )

This particular thread started as generic and only in the last couple of months has become a haven for those who have received unwelcome documentation from the HMRC.

I therefore will let the debate continue.

I will create ANOTHER thread for those asking for information on HMRC EBT enquiries - no debate will be permitted in that thread.

Therefore both sides will be able to comment as they wish in this thread.
                Just to remind people that this is where EBTs are debated by both sides.

Just letting newcomers know - as you were.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  You are not the mod for these forums davedavis. eek's post was purely factual.

If you have issues with the facts, then you are welcome to say so.
                  Then post away eeky, Malvolio et al. As long as readers understand that they are not involved and total tax and legal amateurs

Comment

Originally posted by davedavis View Post
                    Then post away eeky, Malvolio et al. As long as readers understand that they are not involved and total tax and legal amateurs
                    Thanks, glad to have your permission...

But perhaps remember that advice from disinterested, neutral observers who actually understand the mechanics of tax law and the associated politics is something you may need. You haven't even yet twigged that this is a political exercise and nothing to do with recovering monies owed.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by davedavis View Post
                      That's correct we are not involved because I knew enough years ago to know that any scheme has the potential to fail and I couldn't accept the risk.. And yes I'm not the cheery poster you want who says don't worry HMRC have made a big mistake everything will be fine. Because as I hope you would of noticed by now HMRC want the money they think is theirs and will do virtually anything to scare people into paying it (that after all is the purpose of the Settlement letters sent to arrive on a Saturday so people can't do anything but worry for 2 days over the weekend)..

I do think it is worth popping up in here once in a while to explain to new posters what is going on now and why the information at the beginning of these threads (which have been going on for 18 months) may not be relevant to them as that relates to a different series of letters. But as you seem to be willing to take over that job please go ahead and explain what the purpose of the current settlement letters are, what the original letters from February 2013 were, how they differ and what people should do...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X