• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loans from EBTs and other Trusts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    the emphasis should be on pursuing the owed tax in a timely manner so that these things don't drag on for years.
    Litigation can slow down process for many years, and at the end they argue that paying tax would lead to bankrupcies.

Also, asking to put up the money first would deal a big blow to all sort of schemes because many of them are just variety on the same theme, tax avoidance through schemes will become a lot less attractive if money would have to be deposited with HMRC for many years - very good move on part of HMRC.

Comment

Is this the correct thread for this? (Montpelier scheme)

Tax avoiders face massive penalties after landmark legal case | Mail Online

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
        Is this the correct thread for this? (Montpelier scheme)

Tax avoiders face massive penalties after landmark legal case | Mail Online
        No, it is not THE Montpelier scheme affecting the BN66ers (I think), it was tax advice from Montpelier following the sale of a business.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          No, it is not THE Montpelier scheme affecting the BN66ers (I think), it was tax advice from Montpelier following the sale of a business.
          There is a part that is significant though

In the past, those entering into avoidance schemes have only had to face the risk that the plans did not work and consequently having to pay the tax they had been trying to avoid. This made joining a tax scheme a one-way bet.
          But the tribunal ruled that the pair should have checked that the plan (as they added a penalty).
          which changes things from:-

no penalty fine, we know you trusted the "experts"

to,

penalty fine - you really should have got independent confirmation...

Sadly I feel that change is going to impact a lot of people using EBT and loan schemes....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

eek

Apart from Boyle, Aberdeen Asset Management and Rangers, Do you know of any other EBT cases which HMRC has won/fighting/lost?

Comment

Originally posted by varunksingh View Post
              eek

Apart from Boyle, Aberdeen Asset Management and Rangers, Do you know of any other EBT cases which HMRC has won/fighting/lost?
              Sorry I can't be arsed to do your research for you to misrepresent again.

You may however want to look at the cases you are using as you are grossly misrepresenting the results (which is why you are annoying me so much) as they should read:-

Boyle -complete HMRC Win,
              Aberdeen Asset Management complete HMRC Win,
              Rangers partial HMRC Win on some points / cases (and those points appear to quite significant). However, it seems that the final part of the AAM case overrides the majority decision and is from a binding court so I wouldn't be holding out on Rangers eventually winning.

Then you are asking if I know other cases. Well the real problem is that the only information we see is from first and upper tax tribunals and it takes years upon years to get to that point. Boyle was regarding tax in 2002/3 and went to the tribunal last year (9 years later). So the information you want is just not available. There is the Goldman Sachs case but that was from the 1990's and only finalised in 2011 to show the true snail like speed these cases take

And as of this post I'll leave you to yourself. I think 3 posts showing that you don't actually know what you are talking about is enough for anyone...
              Last edited by eek; 3 February 2014, 09:24.

Comment

On the basis that I can't reply in the correct thread

Originally posted by convict View Post
                Looking at the actual draft legislation, rather than the consultation doc I see:

So clearly it's wider than personal taxation, otherwise why all the other taxes?
                Yes but its irrelevant. each example mentioned there is purely designed to ensure that HMRC receive payment of the full amount of tax due regardless of type (be it corporation tax, inheritance tax, individual tax and capital gains tax) no matter what contrived means was used to avoiding paying that tax .

There is absolutely, totally, utterly nothing there which would impact your typical contractor taking dividends as part of their remuneration no matter how you describe it and no matter which part of that documentation / legislation you look at.

Comment

It will be interesting if they use this to go after one of the big multinational transfer pricing operations like Google or Starbucks. They won't of course, but it would be interesting if they did.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

This has been done before… They are the old Sunday Solutions mob and they have loads of experience at getting contractors in trouble with HMRC. They use a different structure but never the less caution is advised.

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Name & Registered Office:
                    BREEZE WEALTH LTD
                    60 LOMBARD STREET
                    LONDON
                    ENGLAND
                    EC3V 9EA
                    Company No. 08036919

Date of Incorporation: 19/04/2012

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
                    Company Type: Private Limited Company
                    Nature of Business (SIC):
                    None Supplied
                    Accounting Reference Date: 30/04
                    Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)
                    Next Accounts Due: 19/01/2014
                    Last Return Made Up To:
                    Next Return Due: 17/05/2013
                    Previous Names:
                    No previous name information has been recorded over the last 20 years.
                    UK Establishment Details
                    There are no UK Establishments associated with this company.
                    Oversea Company Info
                    There are no Oversea Details associated with this company.

Their website says that they have loads of experience

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      I'll correct my previous statement as the case is due to be held in public between Jan and March Rangers EBT tax case HMRC appeal to be heard in public, judge rules | Glasgow & West | News | STV (I truely thought it had been held and we were just waiting for the verdict).

I'm not involved in any of these claims (I keep my accounts simple as I like to sleep at night) and others would say that I'm biased but you may want to read http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...ings-news.html. The bit were insiders feel that HMRC will win is based on ABERDEEN ASSET MANAGEMENT PLC v. THE COMMISSIONERS FOR HER MAJESTY'S REVENUE AND CUSTOMS IN RESPECT OF A DECISION OF THE UPPER TRIBUNAL (TAX AND CHANCERY CHAMBER), 23 October 2013, Lord Drummond Young+Lord Glennie+Lord President which is a binding result that impacts other cases.

I'm not involved in any of these claims (I keep my accounts simple as I like to sleep at night)

Really? Simple means that you are inside IR35... Are you??? If not you shouldn't sleep at night...

Comment

Working...
                      X