• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone worked through Teksystems?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    they got in touch with me a couple of years ago when i was still very green, to put me forward for a fix term positions, agent at the time seemed genuine enough and used the old "just need 2 references" trick before application, needless to say nothing ever materialised, and within 48hrs i'd noticed he had added my two refs as contacts on linkedin

wish i remembered the lil tulips name

actually probably did me a favour, i wouldn't be in the position i am if he had put me forward for the "role" and i had gotten it
    Teksystems did try the 2 references routine, but was only able to provide 1, which proved to be enough. Also told them to have a look at my LinkedIn profile. Explained to them that I couldn't provide as the previous clients don't provide references to contractors.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Seem to have been approached by them for this and that.

Asked for the two references and a meet that curiously died, was postponed only to never materialise - followed by, on the basis of that one chat, a request to be LinkedIn.

This I studiously ignored as all their desperation 'in the interests of moving things along' came to nought when LinkedIn was not accepted.

....And then I get this invite from some Yonca yonca who is a test something or other to hook up with her. Have a look at her profile, seems to have a pic of someone looking like Brooke Shields and all 'done up' and currently at Virgin Media.

So I ignore her too and sure enough, I get a reminder from the two of them (Tek and Yonca) within an hour of each other.

Yeah, right.

I am aware everyone has their job to do but for God's sake...
      Last edited by simes; 17 January 2011, 22:54.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        Seem to have been approached by them for this and that.

Asked for the two references and a meet that curiously died, was postponed only to never materialise - followed by, on the basis of that one chat, a request to be LinkedIn.

This I studiously ignored as all their desperation 'in the interests of moving things along' came to nought when LinkedIn was not accepted.

....And then I get this invite from some Yonca yonca who is a test something or other to hook up with her. Have a look at her profile, seems to have a pic of someone looking like Brooke Shields and all 'done up' and currently at Virgin Media.

So I ignore her too and sure enough, I get a reminder from the two of them (Tek and Yonca) within an hour of each other.

Yeah, right.

I am aware everyone has their job to do but for God's sake...
        I understand the sceptic view. I was lucky that one of the references was someone I know personally and worked with quite a bit over a 10 year period. He was happy to provide a reference and deal with the agency crap. Turned out to be a genuine reference discussion. Yes there was some phishing involved, but that's the nature of recruitment agencies.

There are 2 ways of looking at recruitment agencies.

1. You can have complete distrust of agencies that ask for references and not get any form of opportunities through them.

2. Give them what they are after and you may get an opportunity from them.

Until the contract I am on now, I didn't trust agencies with obtaining references and saw them looking to phish. I pushed hard not to give any references, but gave in and gave 1. I told them to look at my LinkedIn profile for other references and advised none of my contracting clients (other than the one provided) would give contractors references. They were happy with that. I boomed and got the contract.

My advice, don't treat all agencies with the same brush. Yes, be a little suspicious, but don't rule the references bit out altogether.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I totally agree with all you have said and I certainly do not tar all with the same brush - two references is fine.

But Tek seemed only interested in the two references and a 'by hook or by crook' desire to get LinkedIn as someone 'having done business with them'.

No.

I am Linked to some agents, but they are invariably those I have been placed by, not those that call up just the once with some veiled promises.

I do understand it is the nature of their business, but come on Tek, Chaps - maintain a little dignity there.

Comment

And sure enough, reminders from both Tek and Yonca have dried up simultaneously.

Comment

references

just stumbeld accross this post, I am an it consultant and had dealings with tek systems who wanted references up front and went on about their virtual bench. im happy to give references if an interview comes to offer (if needed) so I bunked them off to a contractor buddy of mine. Turns out they tried to set a business / sales meeting with him to drum up business. he agreed but never showed up for a laugh. they have been chasing him ever since! never followed up with them as I got a jb the next day, but i have heard from others that all they want is your contacts for sales.

Comment

Seen this all before. I think they want the references and linked in contacts, but some of them seem interested in trying to do business development with you if they get leads where you match. Nice try, but don't take them too seriously. The leads normally dissappear...

Comment

I worked with them for 16 months and never really had any issues. Payments were generally pretty prompt although I am still awaiting a bonus payment. They were also pretty accurate but when they did make a mistake were pretty quick to rectify it once it had been highlighted.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                    Has anyone worked through Teksystems before? Are they good / prompt payers? They look like a stable company based on the basic information on Companies House, but just wondering what they are like as an agent.
                    The Companies House information is very basic if you look at Teksystems Limited. It is a dormant company but owned by a big US corporation, Allegis and they seem very sound indeed.

Comment

Working...
                    X