• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is This Legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite right, sorry. Ajilon own CP.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Just thought I'd mention that Lorien have always been willing to re-assign my contract to a different company mid-contract. I don't know if my contract requires them to do this. I just assumed it was because they didn't care who they paid fees to as long as it resulted in me turning up for work and them getting paid.

The first time I asked them I had barely got the words out of my mouth before they said "no problem" and asked for the new company details.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
        Just thought I'd mention that Lorien have always been willing to re-assign my contract to a different company mid-contract. I don't know if my contract requires them to do this. I just assumed it was because they didn't care who they paid fees to as long as it resulted in me turning up for work and them getting paid.

The first time I asked them I had barely got the words out of my mouth before they said "no problem" and asked for the new company details.
        Good for you.

The issue that some employment businesses may have, though, is if the recruiter initially signed terms with a safe brolly that pays you via PAYE, even if they didn't give you a list of one's they approved (like Hays and CP) and then you want to change to an offshore or some other dodgy composite arrangement mid-contract and told the recruiter that you were prepared to compromise the end-client's interests by saying 'it's either this brolly or nothing - otherwise I 'walk'.' If the contract doesn't allow a notice period on your side this could make things very difficult for both the recruiter and end-client should you decide to 'walk'.

Strictly speaking if you are 'employed' by your 'brolly' during the contract period and paid PAYE then it isn't logical for any agency to agree to any contractor swapping employers half way through. A permanent employee wouldn't be able to say their boss that they're continuing to work for them via another employer would they? Having said that, on ethical grounds, it shouldn't matter a jot considering we're not just 'employees' at all because we pay employers NI. A brolly who pays us PAYE are, technically speaking, also our 'owner managed delegated Directors' not our employers. That's why it's important for contractors to ensure that their brolly views them as the client whose sole interests they should serve, not the recruiter's interests. Be wary of any brolly that cozies up to agencies too much, affiliates with ATSCO, PGC and so on. Ultimately they're hoping to win business from associated member employment businesses via referrals and your own interests are likely to be compromised should they ever need to challenge the behaviours and practices of a shafting member recruiter who hasn't paid you (via the brolly). They will probably decide that in the longer term they have more to lose by taking up that challenge and will instead conclude that it's more profitable in the long run by shafting you by keeping chums with these recruiters.

No wonder Gordo is looking into the ethics and practices of brollies.
        Last edited by Denny; 18 February 2006, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Coe
          Its that smilie wave that really sets the alarm bell ringing!!!
          Paranoid contractors there is a novelty The smiley wave means that they pay me on time everytime and I have never had any problems with them.
          That and I'm a naturally, content, happy person (despite being a contractor for the last 6 years)

That is all.

Comment

yeah, guess we are a bit of a paranoid bunch at time - just took your unbridled enthusiasm for computer people as a bit of a sales pitch, especially as the rest of us were busy indulging in one of our favourite pastimes... bitching about agencies

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Coe
              yeah, guess we are a bit of a paranoid bunch at time - just took your unbridled enthusiasm for computer people as a bit of a sales pitch, especially as the rest of us were busy indulging in one of our favourite pastimes... bitching about agencies
              We don't bitch about agencies, we bitch about employment businesses.

An important difference.

Comment

point taken - but I think you're being a whee bit pedantic

Comment

I have contracted through them before. Prompt payers, Paperwork useless.

Comment

Oi! Objection!!

Let's be clear that I only ever bitch at agencies that don't treat us (well, me, at least) as professionals. People like Pendragon and SQ are worthy of praise, people like CP and CF aren't. IMHO. Allegedly...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

was meant tongue in cheek - but most of us certainly seem to enjoy moaning about one agencies or another from time to time...

Comment

Working...
                      X