• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates: Day v hour rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the supportive comments

The problem is that too many people have too small a war chest and a good number of agencies/companies are getting used to being able to impose hard terms on people who can't say "no" because of mounting bills. When they meet someone who just wants a fair deal then it doesn't work out and they blame the contractor.

When the market comes back round again to nearly full utilisation in the contract market then there are a few agencies/companies that are going to find filling contract roles very difficult. First against the wall will be those who screw contractors with this "employed consultant" business, then those like the parties involved in this thread, then the downright miserable penny-pinchers who think £200 a day is a "good" rate for a project manager with 15+ years of experience these days.

I also hope that when the market comes around again, more people will concentrate on building a 12+ month war chest rather than the few pounds stuffed away that most contractors have that I know. Too many people had large credit card debts, unsustainable mortgages and flashy cars in the "good" times but neglected to pad their savings accounts.

Comment

To be honest I've seen some roles bouncing around for a long time even in this bad market.

While I know people are desperate for contracts, clients are also desperate to get their monies worth so if they can't get the calibre of candidate they want due to agencies screwing around or the client paying low rates then they are tending to leave roles unfilled.

I'm currently in a role where the previous agency that had the contract screwed around with rates and couldn't get anyone to fill it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

For the roll in Cambridge, was it the OpenGL|ES one? Developing a gfx/media expansion card.

420 per day would have been good for that!

Which agency, client was it BTW?
        cheers. richy

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
          A request for hints here. Offered a new role in Cambridge, rate is a moderate day rate but they're very clear that I may be expected to work very long hours. They're refusing to put hours in the contract, simply stating that the rate is for "work as required" on a set day.
          It's up to you, but I know what I do : if an agent ever quotes me a daily rate at any stage in the process I say that it will be an hourly rate, then if they insist I walk away. Simple as...

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
          So... any advice on how to take it forward?
          Not really, it's up to you in the end. Sounds like the contract from hell to me though, and if you want a chance to impress the agent that you mean what you say then now would be an ideal opportunity...

Boo

Comment

I have always had hourly rates until this gig. Currently I'm on a day rate and the client is exceptionally accomodating. I turn up at ~11.00 on a Monday and I leave at ~11.00 on Fridays to head up the M40. I bill 5x day rate and I leave the office every evening at ~16.00. Can't say fairer than that as current day rate (day rate x5 divided by 40) is 2x my last hourly rate.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

The most important general point to take away from this is the importance of walking away when that is what is called for. If we all allow that kind of agent and/or client to take the piss, then the piss will be taken.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
              X