• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[poll] What do you do with company funds?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[poll] What do you do with company funds?

I haven't got round to any kind of investment with company funds, the money just sits there until I take a dividend which might then be invested personally, except I have moved funds to a "Money Manager" account paying .2% rather than 0% . Considering company accounts hold a fair whack of money I wonder if I should change that, or should take money out sooner to invest personally.

What do you do?
    I take all profits as salary/dividends ASAP
    38.10%
    Just sits in company current account(s)
    28.57%
    Move to slightly better saving account
    23.81%
    Long-term investment to gain reasonable interest
    0.00%
    Investment in shares, currency, commodities, etc
    0.00%
    Other
    9.52%
    Last edited by d000hg; 15 November 2010, 13:01.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I haven't got round to any kind of investment with company funds, the money just sits there until I take a dividend which might then be invested personally, except I have moved funds to a "Money Manager" account paying .2% rather than 0% . Considering company accounts hold a fair whack of money I wonder if I should change that, or should take money out sooner to invest personally.

What do you do?
    If you have an offset mortgate, you could transfer it to your mortgate account to reduce your interest payments and return it to your business before the month is out.

Personally, I would take a Directors Loan and use the money for what I require at the time. I get better interest rates from my personal account than from the business accounts.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      If you have an offset mortgate, you could transfer it to your mortgate account to reduce your interest payments and return it to your business before the month is out.

Personally, I would take a Directors Loan and use the money for what I require at the time. I get better interest rates from my personal account than from the business accounts.
      I really need to look in to this. There is so much conflicting information. You can take the 5K loan and do what you want with it but I remember in a couple of different threads discussions about taking it all and dumping it in your mortgage and then putting it back via an approved method that won't hit you for BIK or something but we never seemed to get to the bottom of how this was done or if it is allowable/worthwhile. Either that or get a mortgage linked to your business bank or something. Can't remember the details, no one seems to have done it though which is the warning flag for me.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I really need to look in to this. There is so much conflicting information. You can take the 5K loan and do what you want with it but I remember in a couple of different threads discussions about taking it all and dumping it in your mortgage and then putting it back via an approved method that won't hit you for BIK or something but we never seemed to get to the bottom of how this was done or if it is allowable/worthwhile. Either that or get a mortgage linked to your business bank or something. Can't remember the details, no one seems to have done it though which is the warning flag for me.
        I don't know the approved way of doing it, but I am sure there is a way of doing it. If I understand it correctly, as long as you put it back into the business within a month, it shouldn't be a problem in terms of BIK. However, you would need to get clarification from your accountant to make sure that is ok.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Why as a DL rather than dividends?

I don't have vast fortunes in company accounts, somewhere in the £10-100k range, but that could still generate anything up to £1-2k in a good personal saving account compared to £50 in a business account, certainly worth having.

Does this fall into an area you can ask a contractor-focused accountant to advise you on, or is that outside the scope of your £70/month

Comment

Why as a DL rather than dividends?

I don't have vast fortunes in company accounts, somewhere in the £10-100k range, but that could still generate anything up to £1-2k in a good personal saving account compared to £50 in a business account, certainly worth having.

Does this fall into an area you can ask a contractor-focused accountant to advise you on, or is that outside the scope of your £70/month
            If you want to transfer £70 pcm to my business bank account, I can provide a IANAA advice for you.

Without knowing your circumstances, taking a Directors Loan may be the most efficient way of taking the money out of your business without paying Higher Rate Tax.

If you are out of contract, then you can take a Divi and do what you please, but you may want to speak to your Accountant about the best way to take it out without paying too much tax.

But if it is spare cash and you have taken out the maximum amount of dividends and salary without going into the Higher Rate threshold, then a DL would be best.... Shirely.

So, how would you like to make your payment?

Comment

One question I've been thinking about too. I don't have squillions in the company account, but there is a fair whack (5 figures) , and is growing monthly. I have traditionally just taken the amount of divs that gets me to just below the higher tax threshold (about £33k) and that's enough to live on comfortably, and the long term plan is to keep building up and close down the company one day and take the leftover minus 10% CGT with the entrepreneurial relief.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

So you're basically treating the Ltd as a pension, since presumably we're talking £100k+ and a fair few years before you close it?

Comment

So you're basically treating the Ltd as a pension, since presumably we're talking £100k+ and a fair few years before you close it?
                  Potentially, yes.

Or could be a self funded 'golden handshake' if I ever take a permie position.

Or could be a war chest for harder times.

Or could be a fund for a plan B if I ever think of something viable

The way I see it, I don't really need the money myself right now so this is the most tax efficient way of not spending it.
                  It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I just take out as much as is there(minus 21% for CT) and I leave the VAT and then stick it against my offset
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X