• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time one off contract. What should I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time one off contract. What should I do?

Hi

I was made redundant at the end of March and have been living off redundancy insurance since then. My only income this tax year was a £15k share payment from my old employer. Tax was deducted at the lower rate.

I have been offered a 7 week contract starting on November 1st. The payment will be £12000.

I do not yet know what my income will be from January to March (if any), but I am looking for a permanent role and don't expect to remain contracting. My previous monthly gross salary was £5k.

What I need to establish is what is the most tax efficient way for me to handle this £12k payment. I have had a call via the job agency from a company called liberty bishop who have offered to pay me as an employee under an umbrella company for £26+VAT (deductible) per week. They take care of all paperwork. They said they can deduct my mileage at 40p per mile which would equate to a deduction of £1800, plus £5 per day for food (presumably this is the same for the self-employed options).

Alternatively could I earn more net, operating as either a sole trader or ltd company? If so is a local accountant the best option to proceed?

If relevant my wife works part time (21 hours pw) and earns £24k pa.

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

IF your intention is to return to permanent work after you have completed this contract you will not actually be entitled to claim travel expenses through an umbrella company. Travel expenses are only payable for travel to a temporary site; if you know that this contract will be your only employment with an umbrella company it automatically becomes a permanent site.

You could set up a Limited Company but you would only be better off if you were working outside of IR35; even so it is not really worth setting up and closing down a Limited Company and all that it entails for a 7 week contract.

If you are working through an employment agency it is highly unlikely that they would make payment to you as a sole trader.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

if you are working via a recruitment agency another option might be to work agency PAYE. All this means is that you are added to the agency's payroll for the period of your contract.

You cannot claim expenses etc on agency PAYE, but as Lisa explained, it doesn't sound like you would be able to anyway.

Comment

You have of course read the Ltd V Umbrella sticky in this very forum?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

what do you do?

Comment

Yes I have read it thanks. I have specific circumstances that it doesn't answer. If I missed something then please feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Comment

Given that you've read the sticky, and Lisa's reply, what are your outstanding questions?

1. You can't work as sole trader through an agency
              2. It's not worth setting up a ltdco for one contract
              3. You can't claim mileage and/or subsistence for one contract
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                1. You can't work as sole trader through an agency
                2. It's not worth setting up a ltdco for one contract
                3. You can't claim mileage and/or subsistence for one contract
                And that's the answer in a nutshell.

Go umbrella.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by guildfordred View Post
                  Hi

I was made redundant at the end of March and have been living off redundancy insurance since then. My only income this tax year was a £15k share payment from my old employer. Tax was deducted at the lower rate.

I have been offered a 7 week contract starting on November 1st. The payment will be £12000.

I do not yet know what my income will be from January to March (if any), but I am looking for a permanent role and don't expect to remain contracting. My previous monthly gross salary was £5k.

What I need to establish is what is the most tax efficient way for me to handle this £12k payment. I have had a call via the job agency from a company called liberty bishop who have offered to pay me as an employee under an umbrella company for £26+VAT (deductible) per week. They take care of all paperwork. They said they can deduct my mileage at 40p per mile which would equate to a deduction of £1800, plus £5 per day for food (presumably this is the same for the self-employed options).

Alternatively could I earn more net, operating as either a sole trader or ltd company? If so is a local accountant the best option to proceed?

If relevant my wife works part time (21 hours pw) and earns £24k pa.

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
                  If I read it right, your agency are pushing you through a particular Umbrella company who are offering a specific dispensation. I would ask how flexible the dispensation is (i.e. what exactly can you claim in full) and if your food allowance is flexible, as your lunch (and / or breakfast) may be more than £5. I think you need to ask if the food allowance is specifically for lunch or can you also get breakfast included and what circumstances does this covers.

Also find out if your rate covers Employers and Employees N.I. and Income Tax, as that would affect the amount of take home pay you will get.

£26 + VAT a week does sound a lot to be honest for an Umbrella service, but I don't know what the going rate is these days. In any case, for a first contract (regardless if you want to go perm afterwards), I would recommend going via an Umbrella, regardless of the tax implications (unless you are on a long term contract and your rate is very high). As a rough guess, your rate is about £200 p/d, which, in my opinion, isn't worth going via a Ltd Company.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                    If I read it right, your agency are pushing you through a particular Umbrella company who are offering a specific dispensation. I would ask how flexible the dispensation is (i.e. what exactly can you claim in full) and if your food allowance is flexible, as your lunch (and / or breakfast) may be more than £5. I think you need to ask if the food allowance is specifically for lunch or can you also get breakfast included and what circumstances does this covers.

Also find out if your rate covers Employers and Employees N.I. and Income Tax, as that would affect the amount of take home pay you will get.

£26 + VAT a week does sound a lot to be honest for an Umbrella service, but I don't know what the going rate is these days. In any case, for a first contract (regardless if you want to go perm afterwards), I would recommend going via an Umbrella, regardless of the tax implications (unless you are on a long term contract and your rate is very high). As a rough guess, your rate is about £200 p/d, which, in my opinion, isn't worth going via a Ltd Company.
                    Unfortunately dispensations, by their nature, cannot be flexible. A dispensation just reduces paperwork for the umbrella company and does not determine what expenses an individual can or cannot claim. Subsistence would fall into the same catagory as travel in this instance - an expense claim would not be allowed as the OP would be going to a permanent work place.
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X