• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Receipts for invoice payments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receipts for invoice payments

I am being asked to send receipts to a client for invoices they pay. I've no problem doing it but we got into a discussion if it's normal/required and while I've never been asked to do it before I wondered if it's common. Client reckons it's required as an official record, but they are not in the EU so maybe rules vary?

Just curious...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I have never done this.

I do keep a statement of account for each client that's available on request though.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I do this. I send a copy of all receipts along with my invoice. I see no problem with this as the client will want some control to protect himself from you just sticking any old number in. Nothing wrong with providing a bit of proof. If a builder charges you for materials on a job a £x I would want to see that that is actually what it is costing him rather than him making inflated fraudulent claims.

If you go away for a job and jsut stick £6K in the invoice to cover it doesn't seem to me to be unreasonable for the client to ask for evidence. It is just a control check rather than any legal or tax requirement and perfectly reasonable.

I don't believe it has any impact on IR35 or client control or anything, just a client quite rightly making sure he isn't being ripped off.

They keyword here is COPY. For obvious reasons I will never send the originals and to be fair I was never asked to.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I am being asked to send receipts to a client for invoices they pay. I've no problem doing it but we got into a discussion if it's normal/required and while I've never been asked to do it before I wondered if it's common. Client reckons it's required as an official record, but they are not in the EU so maybe rules vary?

Just curious...
        I get remittance from agencies for invoices I raise to them. I would expect the client to provide your company with a remittance advice to say that they have processed a payment to your company. However, I see no problem in providing a receipt of payment to the agent / client if they so wish.

Your company could provide a weekly / monthly / bi-monthly statement showing all the invoices raised with a line after each invoice showing when they have paid that particular invoice. It is overkill, I must admit, but shouldn't take long to do.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I do this. I send a copy of all receipts along with my invoice..
          That isn't what he's on about - he's talking about sending a receipt for monies paid by the client for a particular invoice. Not proof of expenses.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            That isn't what he's on about - he's talking about sending a receipt for monies paid by the client for a particular invoice. Not proof of expenses.
            Ahhh, I was thinking of the scanrio where, as a contractor, the OP is paying for his own travel (or whatever it is) and invoicing this back to the client. He is then sending a copy of the receipts to prove the invoice that the client is paying.. i.e. his invoice. The way I read it was I assumed the invoice the client is paying is HIS invoice so also falls under the term 'invoices they pay'. Does that make sense?

Maybe the OP can give an example to clear up the confusion.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 19 August 2010, 14:28.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, receipt of payment.

e.g I send invoice d000hg/001 for £1000 on May1st. I receive payment on May15th, and send a receipt "Receipt of payment for invoice d000hg/001".
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Yes, receipt of payment.

e.g I send invoice d000hg/001 for £1000 on May1st. I receive payment on May15th, and send a receipt "Receipt of payment for invoice d000hg/001".
                To answer your original question, I don't think it's very common to be asked for receipts in these days of electronic payments. I also don't see any issue with obliging though...

Boo

Comment

When I started contracting, I used to send receipts, until the agency asked me not to bother as they didn't keep them.

But you can hardly say no so best do it with good grace.

Comment

I've never sent receipts, and never been asked to. Likewise for all the similar ongoing services I buy and pay for electronically (office rent, phone line, insurance), they don't send receipts.

Nothing to do with any government regulation I'm sure - it'll just be their policy to get receipts where possible. Maybe they had somebody on the take not long ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X