• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

all employees email group - ir35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all employees email group - ir35

Hi
    it's a common practice for the contractors to be included in "all employees" email distribution list in the companies they work for (clients). How critical is this fact to IR35 investigation?

Yes. It's generally too much effort for somebody to do otherwise, and that's assuming they understand what a contractor is, which many people in any organisation don't.

I always assume anything like that doesn't apply to me and ignore it, unless explicitly told otherwise. I can't imagine the email makes a lot of difference to IR35, but what you do with the information might. I remember being informed that all staff had to undergo "ethics training" on a particular date, and obviously as a contractor you don't want to be doing that sort of thing.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
      Hi
      it's a common practice for the contractors to be included in "all employees" email distribution list in the companies they work for (clients). How critical is this fact to IR35 investigation?
      Is it explicitly called all employees or is it a list of everyone that matters? I really do not think it would make any difference to IR35. Whatever method they use to tell everyone information doesn't constitute direction. The information sent will involve health and safety information and the like so HMRC can't come and kick your arse because the company is carrying out it's legal duties to all people working at that site.

TBH if you are on it then technically it is NOT an all employee's list so it isn't really even what you are worrying about... if that makes sense? Its the wrong name.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
        Hi
        Not critical to IR35 at all. Nothing to worry about you just happen to be on a disti list. It could have been called 'internal monkeys' for all they care.

Dont sweat it.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Funnily enough, it is one of the things the Revenue seem to like to ask about if there's an IR35 enquiry. However, in the whole scheme of things, its a long way from being a pivotal issue so I wouldn't worry about it.
          Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Funnily enough, despite there being "global" and "project" email lists here that do include contractors, one of the things I like about current client co. is that every contractors is addressed [email protected] [Contractor] and email sigs include the words "contracted to-" before the client co. name. So it is very visible to all concerned who is staff and who isn't.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I guess it would be a simple way to kick start an IR35 Enquiry along with attending a Christmas party, covering an employees absence and using ClientCo equipment.

Just make it plain on your signature who you are?

Comment

Working...
              X