• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Late invoice payments...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late invoice payments...

New contract, new agent. They told me that they pay 30 days after invoice.
    First invoice payment 1 week late and counting...
    I invoice weekly on this contract and the 2nd one was also due last week, still unpaid.

Do some agents think it is ok to just relax and take their time? I always print the due date on my invoices as a helpful reminder.

My last agent was very prompt and was no later than 1 day, and sometimes paid a day early.

tell them how it is

If you invoice friday the agent should pay into your account via bacs by the following tuesday or wednesday at the latest
    If you were direct to the client then they could stipulate 30 days net, but with an agent, you need to tell them payment is weekly on the dot or you split.

Comment

First off search the forum of the agents name to see if there have been problems in the past.

Second off name them and see if others on this board are having the same problem to give you an indication of the tulip you are in.

Thirdly speak to them?? What excuse have they given? Does it seem feasible? Is someone on holiday or serious IT problem that could justify this?

Fourthly (?!?) do it quick!!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WHS.

It's worth a quick search and new thread with the offending agency's name in the title...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I had an agent "not receive" my first two timesheets once. But then that was paid weekly a few days after invoice, so it wasn't too bad (and they were reliable after that).

But that was pre-recession times. I'd be very nervous in your situation, and you're now six weeks in and risking not getting paid for any of it. You need to consider withdrawing your services unless you can get a guarantee from somebody that this is a temporary blip. If you have a good relationship with the client, get them involved. Agents will bend over backwards to keep the client happy.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by moder8or View Post
            If you invoice friday the agent should pay into your account via bacs by the following tuesday or wednesday at the latest
            If you were direct to the client then they could stipulate 30 days net, but with an agent, you need to tell them payment is weekly on the dot or you split.

Quite simply one of the funniest things I've read here for ages. Shouldn't this be in light relief?
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Second off name them and see if others on this board are having the same problem to give you an indication of the tulip you are in.

Thirdly speak to them?? What excuse have they given? Does it seem feasible? Is someone on holiday or serious IT problem that could justify this?

Fourthly (?!?) do it quick!!
              I'll hold off naming the agent as its only 1 week and I dont want to damage their reputation if it is an honest mistake.

The pimp I deal with is actually ill, but they have a separate accounts department who took the original invoices. They've said that my payment has been processed by BACS friday last week (didn't explain why it was late), so I'll give it a few days more....

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                I'll hold off naming the agent as its only 1 week and I dont want to damage their reputation if it is an honest mistake.

The pimp I deal with is actually ill, but they have a separate accounts department who took the original invoices. They've said that my payment has been processed by BACS friday last week (didn't explain why it was late), so I'll give it a few days more....
                That is very fair of you. I don't see it as an issue to ask 'Has anyone had an issue with xxxxx not paying in the past?'

It is a simple question based on a factual situation. I see no reputation damage beyond them being soley responsible for having their name mentioned.

Fair play to you if it does work out well though. Tis a good thing you do.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

Quite simply one of the funniest things I've read here for ages. Shouldn't this be in light relief?
                  Why. I've had a contract like that before. Invoice on Friday payment on Wednesday. Sorted.

I'm waiting for someone to come back with "your a business blah blah blah". Well I am and my business has the credit terms of a widower landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Why. I've had a contract like that before. Invoice on Friday payment on Wednesday. Sorted.

I'm waiting for someone to come back with "your a business blah blah blah". Well I am and my business has the credit terms of a widower landlord.
                    I think what he finds funny is the fact the OP of that comment thinks that this is normal and made no mention of agreements and contracts. It's the assumption that raised a LOL.

I am sure people do have those T&C's but is by no means standard.

Comment

Working...
                    X