• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD Spreadsheet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD Spreadsheet

Hi All,

Really dumb question around the sjd sheet (would like to know over the w/e hence why not asking sjd). When moving into the new company year obviously the bank account balance is brought forward, but with regards to invoiced amounts, dividends paid, and directors loan should that be brought forward as well?

Was just wondering as I have dividends available from the previous year and if I pay them in the new company year then the estimated dividends goes into the negative?

Can anybody advise?

Cheers,

Dan

No idea but I'm guessing it's because the dividend belongs to the financial year in which it was declared, as far as the accounts are concerned, not when you decide to pay it.

I've never really seen the need for a dividend estimator either, TBH. I have a pretty good idea of my running profit and keep within that.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

No idea what SJD sheets do obvously as not sure how sjd treats the data but would have thought better to bring nothing forward. That way you can check for balance over the year, and add previous carried forward years figures only when it is correct.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        No idea what SJD sheets do obvously as not sure how sjd treats the data but would have thought better to bring nothing forward. That way you can check for balance over the year, and add previous carried forward years figures only when it is correct.
        I agree.

The spreadsheet is being used for bookkeeping so should only refer to current events. The only figure to bring forward is the bank account balance so that you can reconcile the bank statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          I agree.

The spreadsheet is being used for bookkeeping so should only refer to current events. The only figure to bring forward is the bank account balance so that you can reconcile the bank statements.
          Thats right. On the month 1 sheet at the top there is an "Opening Balance Current Account" for the bank otherwise I brought nothing forward on my SJD spreadsheet.

Comment

How do I account for taking a divi to pay back the outstanding loan for last comapnies year then?

Comment

Originally posted by ribble View Post
              How do I account for taking a divi to pay back the outstanding loan for last comapnies year then?
              The journal entry will show a debit in the dividend column and a credit in the directors loan account column and will have no impact on the bank account.

Comment

Yes but the directors loan account will show a positive amount when in fact i'm actually settling it...and also the dividend summary will show a negative value. I understand that the years should be kept seperate, in this case is there a way to adjust the bank account balance without have any effect on the new year calculations?

Dan
                Last edited by ribble; 2 April 2010, 09:47.

Comment

answer

I queried sjd about this last year as I was in the same position.
                  I emailed the sheet and they updated it with a new field to take into account outstanding dividends

Comment

Originally posted by brasi12345 View Post
                    I queried sjd about this last year as I was in the same position.
                    I emailed the sheet and they updated it with a new field to take into account outstanding dividends
                    You mean - you asked them...???

It'll never catch on.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X