• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying dividends and leaving enough for the tax man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying dividends and leaving enough for the tax man

Is it all right for my company to pay a dividend at a rate which would leave not enough cash to cover my current corporation tax liability as long as that tax liability is covered by my outstanding invoices which I have no reason to doubt will be paid well before the tax is payable?

Thanks,
    Tony.

I would guess as long as you have the cash at the end of the year then it's ok but that is just a guess. The question that does spring to mind though is do you need the extra money in the dividends so badly? Surely you are just robbing from Peter to pay Paul here and leaving yourself open to a cock up with your last invoice or something that will leave you in a bad position?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I would guess as long as you have the cash at the end of the year then it's ok but that is just a guess. The question that does spring to mind though is do you need the extra money in the dividends so badly? Surely you are just robbing from Peter to pay Paul here and leaving yourself open to a cock up with your last invoice or something that will leave you in a bad position?
      I just want to lose as little as possible of this year's (personal) basic rate tax allowance.

Business was a bit slow last year but is looking a bit busier ahead. I'd hate to be paying top rate next year on money I could have had at basic rate this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post
        I just want to lose as little as possible of this year's (personal) basic rate tax allowance.

Business was a bit slow last year but is looking a bit busier ahead. I'd hate to be paying top rate next year on money I could have had at basic rate this year.
        You could always declare a dividend but not actually take it. That way you'd still have enough money in the bank to pay the tax, and the company would simply owe you the value of the dividend (which you could take at a later date).
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by *Clare* View Post
          You could always declare a dividend but not actually take it. That way you'd still have enough money in the bank to pay the tax, and the company would simply owe you the value of the dividend (which you could take at a later date).
          can you charge your Ltd interest too?

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
            Yes.

Next...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
              Yes - but then you'd have to declare the interest as extra income on your tax return. Not really worth it - save CT but pay personally.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

hmmmmmmmm
                I borrowed a lot from my co for about 4 months (30K) but for the other 8 I was in credit a bit...let's say an average of 3K at any one time

Should I have offset (on equal interest terms) the two when calculating interest owed to Ltd?

I paid about 400 quid interest from what I remember. Ok I should be able to get 79% of that back at some time...but still

Comment

Originally posted by *Clare* View Post
                  Would that work? I thought I'd actually have to receive this money in my personal account before 5th April in order for it to fall under my 2009/10 tax year? Certainly that the way I've always operated when totting up dividend income from other stocks and shares for my self assessment...

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post
                    as long as that tax liability is covered by my outstanding invoices

What happens if for some reason the invoices don't get paid (say the agency goes bust due to directors withdrawing all the money ) and you can't therefore pay the tax?

Is it a case of the company becomes insolvent so can be closed and that's the end of the tax liability? This assumes HMRC understand the course of events and don't see it as tax evasion.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X