• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming clothing expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming clothing expenses

Is it possible to claim clothing as an expense for work? I wear a suit (which I fkn hate) because I gotsta look sharp u know what I'm saying. So surely if I have to buy a suit for work and use the suit ONLY for work, can this be considered a legitimate business expense?

- baronne

Originally posted by baronne View Post
    Is it possible to claim clothing as an expense for work? I wear a suit (which I fkn hate) because I gotsta look sharp u know what I'm saying. So surely if I have to buy a suit for work and use the suit ONLY for work, can this be considered a legitimate business expense?

- baronne
    No - because you could use it for other purposes.

It's been discussed ad nauseum on here in the past - there are some clothes that you can claim, and some that you can't. For example, if you require a high visibility jacket for work, then you can claim it. If you are a lawyer and need to wear a gown and wig for court work, you still cannot claim it (there is precedent for this).

Have a quick search and see what CUK members have suggested in the past.
    If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Wikir Man is quite right - just because you only wear the suit at work doesn't mean that you couldn't wear it somewhere else and hence there is a duality of purpose
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Suit

You could get it branded in your company name, then is always being used for business purposes!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post
          You could get it branded in your company name, then is always being used for business purposes!
          Certain about that? Thought I read that being branded didn't make a difference.

Comment

It depends on each case really:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM32475.htm
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Excellent, I'm going to get some of those sticky back tags with "ChimpMaster Ltd" to use on my suits!

Comment

Branding

Sticky tags not likely to work!! Embroidered and need to be obvious, not stuck on the inside or under armpit, so would need to be genuine branding.....just like the type of branding this lot do http://www.keylogo.co.uk/corporate-clothing.htm

Comment

Sticky tags not likely to work!! Embroidered and need to be obvious, not stuck on the inside or under armpit, so would need to be genuine branding.....just like the type of branding this lot do http://www.keylogo.co.uk/corporate-clothing.htm
                  But surely this would only apply to genuine workwear Darren - I can't see HMR&C letting a £1000 Paul Smith suit go through just because you've had Upton Accountants embroidered on it - whatever logo is used there is still a duality of purpose
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Suits

Yes Lisa that's correct, designer wear not good, HMRC will kick that out, something a bit more ordinary. Or get some trousers and shirts/t-shirts made up for work and embroidered up. Can still be used for golfing afterwards!

Comment

Working...
                    X