• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property Investment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Investment

Hello all,

Does anyone invest in property through their limited company ?

I would rather do this then invest in a pension, with property being more reliable/stable investment than stocks and shares.

Have you had any legal problems with investing in property, or know of any pitfalls ?

Many thanks,

David

with property being more reliable/stable investment than stocks and shares.
    Really?

FTSE100 1 Jan 2009 = 4434.17
    FTSE100 1 Jan 2010 = 5412.88 +22%

House Price Index Q3 2009 Annual Change = -3%

Have you had any legal problems with investing in property, or know of any pitfalls ?
    Capital Gains and Corporation Tax for starters I think, unless you're intending
    to invest in a tanking market to create a loss you can offset.

Comment

i dont know whole ins and outs but it may also affect your comapy status if you start doing business in a different area, flat rate vat as an example. This is certainly the case if you decide to invest a sizeable amount cash so guess it will be same here...

The question has been asked a few times so a quick search could throw up some gems
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Fair point...but property in the long term is a good investment, ploughing money in the FTSE for 2007 and 2008 would not have been seen so high returns.

I just have less confidence in pensions, and cannot see how you can invest in ISA's unless you pay yourself that £10k first. Sorry I am not wise to this (first time contractor).

I can accept paying CGT if and when a property is sold, but it would not be my intention to do so. It's purely for retirement.

I don't know if anyone knows about putting money into a Trust Fund ?

Many thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by daveyowen View Post
          Fair point...but property in the long term is a good investment, ploughing money in the FTSE for 2007 and 2008 would not have been seen so high returns.

I just have less confidence in pensions, and cannot see how you can invest in ISA's unless you pay yourself that £10k first. Sorry I am not wise to this (first time contractor).

I can accept paying CGT if and when a property is sold, but it would not be my intention to do so. It's purely for retirement.

I don't know if anyone knows about putting money into a Trust Fund ?

Many thanks,
          There are many different types of trust fund. Rather a wide question.

There are good reasons why you might not want to but property through your limited which have been covered many many times before. There is also a short ebook here which is quite good and pretty up to date. http://www.taxcafe.co.uk/propertycompany.html

It is also possible to use a pension fund to buy a property. This may be beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            There are many different types of trust fund. Rather a wide question.

There are good reasons why you might not want to but property through your limited which have been covered many many times before. There is also a short ebook here which is quite good and pretty up to date. http://www.taxcafe.co.uk/propertycompany.html

It is also possible to use a pension fund to buy a property. This may be beneficial.
            Have you bought this book? It looks like one of those 'How I made a million using Google' rip offs.

Comment

Originally posted by daveyowen View Post
              Hello all,

Does anyone invest in property through their limited company ?

I would rather do this then invest in a pension, with property being more reliable/stable investment than stocks and shares.

Many thanks,

David
              I've just asked the same question without realising you did too

I wonder if this is legal to buy properties through an IT Trading company?

Comment

Originally posted by Le Rosbif View Post
                I've just asked the same question without realising you did too

I wonder if this is legal to buy properties through an IT Trading company?
                You ahve been here long enough to know that there is a search button and long enough to know this has been asked more than a few times surely????

<sigh> seems no one else wants to...

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Yadda yadda yadda

Use the term Property in a title only search in business and accounting...

Simples....
                Last edited by northernladuk; 19 March 2010, 11:35.

Comment

I found this which might help too.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...rty+investment

As for spamming this wonderful forum wiith new/already answered questions... see if I care!

Ignore the questions if you've seen them already.

When your client ask you about .Net 3.5 you tell him to buy a 1.1 book cause everything is in there already?

Comment

Originally posted by Le Rosbif View Post
                    When your client ask you about .Net 3.5 you tell him to buy a 1.1 book cause everything is in there already?
                    You get the advice you pay for.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X