• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Reserves.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Reserves.

Me again guys!

After 2 1/2 years' contracting, I've got a reasonable wedge in the company as reserves.

It's sat in the A&L company deposit account - earning a truly criminal and pitiful return each month. It's seriously laughable.

I was going to close the Ltd, pay the CGT and do something more useful with it. I’m thinking investments, not fast cars and fast women!

I reckon now is potentially a good time to dip a toe in to the buy-to-let property market. Just a hunch, I’m not really an expert.

So my question; can I either:

A> Take the money out as a loan. The Ltd lends me the money as an individual and I invest it and agree some sort of repayment terms with the Ltd. What could I get away with? As long as I am making regular token repayments will this be enough?
    B> Invest it in the Ltd company name. So any property I bought would be owned by the Ltd company and rents payable to the Ltd. What are the implications of this one?

p.s. In case anyone is thinking I must be sat on millions, I'm not. I live in the north of England where houses are about the same price as a bag of chips right now. This should still yield a better return than A&L are giving me

A) You would need to pay some kind of commercial rate to avoid it being a benefit in kind. Probably best to talk to your accountant to see whether it's worthwhile.

B) If the company invests too much, then you may need to reclassify the business in terms of what it does.

I have no idea what the relative capital gains implications would be.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Your going to get taxed on the profits made either in hand or in kind either way you do it.

Gotta say with mortgages at the level they are at now, bar the deposit is it really worth using money you could get taxed on to prop up a low percentage mortgage that is being paid for by the tenant anyway?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I reckon the Ltd has got just about enough reserves to buy a decent house outright. I then reckon that I could ask in the region of £600 to £700 pcm. Even taxed that beats the £40 pcm A&L are giving me. And, with a bit of luck, the housing market might recover and the value of the property will increase. Sounds like a winner to me?

My accountant doesn't really appear to have much interest in answering these "what if" type questions for me. They really just want to do my annual accounts, collect their £1200 and get shut of me.
        This thread isn't about the service I get from my accountant though. I'll leave that for a Friday afternoon sometime and have a proper rant.
        The point is, I come to this forum for the banter, and because I often get better advice than I do from my accountant. I honestly don't think my accountant has all the answers and is too busy to take the time to find out. Why would they unless they were going to charge me for the advice.

Comment

You can do both, however both will have pretty unpleasant tax consequences so I wouldn't recommend either.

Originally posted by WetBehindTheEars View Post
          A> Take the money out as a loan. The Ltd lends me the money as an individual and I invest it and agree some sort of repayment terms with the Ltd. What could I get away with? As long as I am making regular token repayments will this be enough?
          As mentioned above, you'll have a benefit in kind if you don't pay a commercial rate of interest on it (which is currently low, so that in itself isn't a big problem).

What's more of a problem is that if you're borrowing long term, the company will have to pay over a temporary tax of 25% of the amount you owe the company, for as long as it is owed. Google "S.419" for more details on this.

B> Invest it in the Ltd company name. So any property I bought would be owned by the Ltd company and rents payable to the Ltd. What are the implications of this one?
          Companies making capital gains are taxed at the normal corporation tax on those gains, and then the funds are still in the company (ie you may pay further tax on the dividend when you draw funds out). Therefore if you later sell the houses for a profit, the Co will get taxed at ~21%, then if you're a higher rate taxpayer you'll pay a further 25% on the dividend.

As an individual owning the properties directly, you'd pay only 18% tax (residential investment properties are not business assets so do not benefit from entrepreneurs relief), and you get the first ~£10k tax free.

I think your best bet would be to actually close the company down and draw the cash out now (by CGT if you can convince HMRC to let it apply), then use the funds personally to buy the properties.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Maslins.

A very detailed response.

Not what I wanted to hear, but a very good reply.

It seems whichever way you turn, HMRC is there waiting to have your pants down!

I understand why people who don't bother to work use the saying "working is for mugs".

Comment

Accountant != financial advisor

Comment

Following completion of my annual corporate accounts, I had a wedge in the business account as well. My accountant has advised me to take this out as a Directors Loan Account payment, as the most tax efficient way.

So I have now paid a wedge off the mortgage, topped up equity ISAs and am buying the wife a new conservatory...

Comment

My accountant doesn't really appear to have much interest in answering these "what if" type questions for me. They really just want to do my annual accounts, collect their £1200 and get shut of me.
                  Sounds like not very good service - part of the £1200 should include advice like that as part of your routine business planning without additional charging and should be also accessible at all times. My accountant is only too happy to discuss such matters with me and is always available if I need him (including weekends).

I would ditch yours and find someone else.

Comment

Excellent.

@Kaiser - can you go in to a bit more detail about how you went about it? Sounds like exactly what I want to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X