• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses / Receipts issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, you could always "find" receipts for those missing. *cough*
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you can prove the expenditure, that should be sufficient. For example, credit card statements will show you bought petrol or train tickets or accomodation, mileage records will prove you did some business-realted travelling...

Of course, if you didn't actually spend the money but claimed anyway, then you might have a slight issue. Hint: that's not called "avoidance"...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Any umbrella company should makes random checks to ensure that no contractor working through them is claiming anything they shouldn't be. HMR&C considers that contractors working through an umbrella company are their employees and as such it is the umbrell company's responsibility to ensure that all expense claims are legitimate. If you are unable to back up your expenses with receipts or proof of expenditure then your umbrella company should disallow the expense.
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          Umbrellas, MSCs, BN66, IR35, S660, disguised employees, dodgy expenses etc.

Blah, I wonder sometimes, how exactly DO the Inland Revenue want us to do business???
          become an employee and join the union.

Comment

Blah, I wonder sometimes, how exactly DO the Inland Revenue want us to do business???
            Legally?

Whilst I agree with some of those in your list, I don't think that dodgy expenses should be part of any business, whether small or large.
            If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

They don't want us to do business. Seriously. They want us to be employed by a large company and safely on PAYE.

Remember, their job is to tax. If you make lots of money but work in a way that they mistrust, they fear loss of control and loss of tax, i.e. failure on their part.

If you were employed by a large consultancy, who raked off 60-80% of their inflated billing, paid you a shedload less, but did it on PAYE, then the Revenue would be happy. That's a positive result for them, everybody inside the right tax system, everything hunky-dory (except for you).

In fact if the work goes to India and you sign on, the Revenue would be happy. That too is not their concern, as long as tha tax is done the way they like it.
              Step outside posh boy

Comment

and I would advise you go back and re read ALL the information offered by your brolly to make sure there are no other major issues heading your way you are not yet aware of! Keeping reciepts is normally mentioned all over the place where other little important bits are hidden away.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

When signing up with a brolly are individuals advised what to or not to do?

Is it like a joining pack or do they get an account manager who hammers home best practice on how to work.

Am Ltd so not familiar with brolly processes and curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Is it like a joining pack or do they get an account manager who hammers home best practice on how to work.

I am aware of two and there are quite comrehensive guides on what you can and can't claim and process. Both of the ones I dealth with sent this out in paper as part of a pack but also had a guides section where this was downloadable with other interesting articles on what I can/can't claim, the process and how it works etc.

Quick answer is yes. There are 'induction' materials offered by the bigger ones.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

The contractor should always have an account manager who will be there to answer questions and pass on relevent information e.g. a change in tax code, new legislation etc. The umbrella should also send new contractors a copy of their terms and conditions, details of how their systems work, pay dates etc. They should also have information available on expenses, IR35, tax legislation etc.
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X