• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aren't the majority of IT contractors inside IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Part of my anti-IR35 working practice is to try to only have short-ish duration contracts. This has been difficult in the recession since I was in a potentially long term role when the worst of the slump hit, hence sitting tight and hoping for the best. It turned out to be 18 months. My thinking is that a series of short duration jobs is far less attractive of a target to HMRC since the potential IR35 yield on each contract is small due to shortish duration. Hopefully, the workload for HMRC to investigate each contract is large relative to the potential IR35 liability due to my QDOS policy kicking in if required. Current gig is shaping up to about 6 months or so, hence following this strategy nicely. Second part of my anti-IR35 strategy is to put as much into my SIPP from the Ltd Co as possible.
    Same here have rarely gone past 6 months for a contract -- but am not moving from this one till it hits the 2 year mark if I can help it....and only then if I can't get my location moved from London.....

Interestingly I'm working in an HMRC office as we speak - that should make me immune to anything shouldn't it

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
      Interestingly I'm working in an HMRC office as we speak - that should make me immune to anything shouldn't it
      It should make you a healthy profit should you want to sell any case files you might discover on BN66...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by *Clare* View Post
        Your IR35 deemed salary would be reduced by the value of any pension contributions - so any potential liability is therefore reduced.
        Correct, that is the right answer.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          It should make you a healthy profit should you want to sell any case files you might discover on BN66...
          Working on their document management systems too (with God access!!!!) -- mmmm...wonder if that confidentiality clause is legally binding

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
            mmmm...wonder if that confidentiality clause is legally binding
            Who cares? So long as you don't get caught

With that level of access, you can tidy up after yourself anyway...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
            X