• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAQ

I have been getting quite a few questions by email and thought this might be helpful.

1. When are we likely to get a decision from the CoA?
    December or January.

2. If we lose, will HMRC enforce collection?
    No way of knowing but it’s possible.

3. What happens if they do try to collect?
    Montpelier have a back-up plan involving the Tax Courts (Tribunal).

4. Where would we go next with the main case?
    UK Supreme Court or possibly European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR).

5. What about PwC?
    Since their argument concerns the EU Treaty (not human rights) their case could get referred by the CoA to the European Court of Justice (ECJ).

Comment

I've just been told that HMRC read this forum.

Well this is just for you, you ******* bastards.

If we lose the case I will lose everything - the house, the wife, the kids.

Does that float your boat you sadistic *****?

Well enjoy it while you can.

A man who has already lost everything has nothing left to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Darko View Post
        Jesus come on guys get real.

This was an offshore tax avoidance scheme we joined not a ******* pension from Norwich Union.

What were you thinking that they were covered by the FSA or something?

And before anyone balls me out I joined in 2005 and wasn't told it was being investigated either.

So you feel you were misled? Tough, like me, just get over it.
        I was told by MTM not to bother getting a CTD when hmrc started investigating the scheme as they (MTM) were convinced they'd win. I was also told MTM were delighted it was taking so long to resolve the investigation as they were and I quote 'making more money out of it' unquote.

When I met gittins in the early days of the scheme myself and others were told it was a legal solution to iR35. I dont recall being told it was a tax avoidance vehicle as you state. We were told the likes of Richard Branson and other wealthy people used the same 'type' of scheme I suspect to give the scheme some validity. (I should make clear here it was not claimed RB used the scheme administered by MTM.)

Im sorry but I dont buy into this 'we were buying into a tax avoidance scheme' crap one bit. It was presented as anything but tax avoidance and in effect, just what your accountant would do only giving peace of mind (yeah, right) with regards to IR35.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Just a reminder to everyone that this is a public forum and quotes from here have been used in court.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            Just a reminder to everyone that this is a public forum and quotes from here have been used in court.
            Santa, I agree and am getting worried about the amount of dirty laundry being done in public view so close to the COA. Come on people think please, this isnt a private forum...

Comment

A post I did last night has been deleted.

I won't repeat what it said because someone obviously found it offensive. In future I will keep my deepest darko thoughts to myself.

I will just say this though.

There is only one group I hold responsible for jeopardizing my future and that's the sadistic c***s at HMRC!!!!!!!!
              Last edited by Donnie Darko; 15 October 2010, 09:34.

Comment

A post I did last night has been deleted.

I won't repeat what it said because someone obviously found it offensive. In future I will keep my deepest darko thoughts to myself.

I will just say this though.

There is only one group I hold responsible for jeopardizing my future and that's the sadistic c***s at HMRC!!!!!!!!

go on Singh read that one out!! Can we play them at their own game, is it worth Elvin reading out some too to give it balance if they do it again, or do we shoot ourselves in the foot as being seen as stooping to their level?

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                  [/B]

go on Singh read that one out!! Can we play them at their own game, is it worth Elvin reading out some too to give it balance if they do it again, or do we shoot ourselves in the foot as being seen as stooping to their level?
                  I can't see the appeal court standing for any of this sort of nonsense. With both our appeal and PwC's case to be heard I'm sure they'll keep a tight reign on proceedings.

Comment

I think you're wrong. In my view, HMRC are just civil servants doing the jobs that they're paid for; responsibility for this fiasco lies with the politicians who drafted and voted for the retrospective legislation.
                    Last edited by Morlock; 15 October 2010, 11:46.

Comment

Perhaps of Interest

Some media freelancers are facing criminal enquiries for making inflated expenses claims and for claiming debatable self-employment status:
                      http://www.taxation.co.uk/taxation/a...iminal-inquiry

Comment

Working...
                      X