• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella vs Ltd Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella vs Ltd Company

I'm starting a new contract next week (12 month contract) and have set it up through an umbrella. I will eventually want to move to a Ltd Company but want to know if it would be best to wait until the 12 months is up and move when I change contract or if I should take the plunge during the first 12 months.

What are people's opinions on this? BTW no way would I touch any offshore methods of payments, very close until I read up on BN66 though. Why are these unscrupulous companies so convincing on the phone until challenged

Ian

Just wait it's only 12 months. Nigh on impossible to make the switch mid contract anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
      Just wait it's only 12 months. Nigh on impossible to make the switch mid contract anyway.
      That was my understanding but glad someone else has confirmed this. I will wait the 12 months.

Thanks
      Ian

Comment

If its 12months I'd say set up a ltd co. It'll be worth your while.

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
          Not necessarily true. If there is a termination clause, tell the agency that you wish to terminate the contract and set a new one up in order to do business via a Ltd company. Some agencies will do it, some won't. (Ok, termination clause may not be the right way of doing it, but I'm sure there is a way).
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by biondani View Post
            I'm starting a new contract next week (12 month contract) and have set it up through an umbrella. I will eventually want to move to a Ltd Company but want to know if it would be best to wait until the 12 months is up and move when I change contract or if I should take the plunge during the first 12 months.

What are people's opinions on this? BTW no way would I touch any offshore methods of payments, very close until I read up on BN66 though. Why are these unscrupulous companies so convincing on the phone until challenged

Ian
            For a 12 month job I;d have gone ltd from the start. The agency wont care if you want to change as long as you are still earning them money ( unless they have a deal with brolly anyway ), you will need to check your contract with the brolly to see what the termination clauses are like.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
              If its 12months I'd say set up a ltd co. It'll be worth your while.
              WHS.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                WHS.
                +1. No point fannying around lining their pockets, they're only parasites on your back if you're outside of IR35.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

No agency involved, I am working direct for the client. I used an umbrella to make things easier for my first contract. I will see how things go and probably change around the time of the 6 month review.

Ian

Comment

Oh dear, another misguided person going the brolly route.

Will they ever learn?
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X