• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile phones

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile phones

Anyone had any expericance of using the Business orientated services from the mobil phone co's rather then the normal individual service. I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a new phone via the Ltd co. or stick to doing it as a private individual.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB
    Anyone had any expericance of using the Business orientated services from the mobil phone co's rather then the normal individual service. I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a new phone via the Ltd co. or stick to doing it as a private individual.
    Main benefit is that you can reclaim the VAT if its a business account, if its a personal one you can't.

Comment

If it is a personal one that is charged to the company, then the charges are deemed to be a benefit in kind (P11D) unless you certify that they are wholly for business use. Gets more complicated.....

I am trying to switch my account over but not had luck yet. As I am only just completing my first year of trading the Newbury based operator has requested I send them a purchase order (amongst other things). As I dont have one I have to put one together.......! More time!!

Comment

On a related note, do most peolpe have a seperate land line at home for business use?
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I do simply so I don't have to go through the process of apportioning calls for business & personal. Naturally all the calls on my business phone are strictly business....!

Comment

BT provide 2 business lines to us - one is purley for business incoming and outgoing calls - the other is a "backup" line. Both go into a DECT 15 way telephone excahange.
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

So if I have a phone on a monthly contract can I put that contract cost through as a monthly expense through my Ltd?

Comment

Originally posted by stacks
                So if I have a phone on a monthly contract can I put that contract cost through as a monthly expense through my Ltd?
                Yes and No!

You can put through the cost of the calls that you incur wholly as a business expense, and the equivalent proportion of the line rental.

The personal calls are not expensable. If the company pays these they are a P11D item, and you will be taxed on a benefit in kind.

The simplest solution is to have a company phone, and a personal one, only use the company one for calls you incur as part of your work, and if staying away I believe you can also put through calls up to the IR incidental expenses limit.

Have another phone for yourself that you use for personal calls.

It gets rather grey if you can for instance prove that if you have a company phone with 400 minutes free you still are paying charges on the business calls but if you upped it to 1000 mins you actually saved money but could now cover your private calls in the allowance.

You'd need to be able to prove that the above was correct however and even then it may not be permissible.

Comment

Business Mobile Phones

I think it an excellent idea - recently went on a business contract using my Ltd Company. They gave me an option of 12 to 24 months contract including free handset, 1500 free minutes per month much cheaper than my personal mobile.

If you guys are interested contact sean; [email protected] .

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
                    You can put through the cost of the calls that you incur wholly as a business expense, and the equivalent proportion of the line rental.
                    No, you cannot apportion the rental. You would have this personal expense whether you used the phone for business or not so it cannot be a business expense.

OTOH, if you have a business phone which you use for personal use there is no longer a BIK charge. Gordo abolished this some years ago.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                    X