• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mobile phones

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mobile phones"

Collapse

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Anyone had any expericance of using the Business orientated services from the mobil phone co's rather then the normal individual service. I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a new phone via the Ltd co. or stick to doing it as a private individual.
    If you get the phone in the Ltd company name the company can pay the rental and for all calls whether personal or business with no BIK implications. My company mobile is with T-Mobile, they didn't ask for any proof that the company existed.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Unfortunatley you can't claim the money back as the calls didn't cost you anything.
    Mmm true but I pay the line rental. Will try and make the calls from a land line then so I can account for them.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    Hi, I get 800mins free on my contract and of those use 400 amonth on work dialing into conf calls. As these free minutes are part of my standard line rental does that mean I cant claim them back at all ?
    Unfortunatley you can't claim the money back as the calls didn't cost you anything.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Hi, I get 800mins free on my contract and of those use 400 amonth on work dialing into conf calls. As these free minutes are part of my standard line rental does that mean I cant claim them back at all ?

Leave a comment:

• YOYO
    replied
    Mobile Phones

Dave

In terms of documentation they ask for my Ltd Company Certificate of Incorporation and yes they will do a credit check depending on the package you are going for. I hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• stacks
    replied
    I was advised by my accountant to take out a normal personal contract but to make sure that my Ltd company name was shown as the first line of the address on the monthly bill and it can then be put through as an expense.

Anyone find fault in this approach?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Yoyo, what did they want from you in terms of business documentation? Any kind of proof of credit wortheyness or did they not care?

Looks like I'm going for the business phone rather than personal.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by boredsenseless
    You can put through the cost of the calls that you incur wholly as a business expense, and the equivalent proportion of the line rental.
    No, you cannot apportion the rental. You would have this personal expense whether you used the phone for business or not so it cannot be a business expense.

OTOH, if you have a business phone which you use for personal use there is no longer a BIK charge. Gordo abolished this some years ago.

Tim

Leave a comment:

• YOYO
    replied
    Business Mobile Phones

I think it an excellent idea - recently went on a business contract using my Ltd Company. They gave me an option of 12 to 24 months contract including free handset, 1500 free minutes per month much cheaper than my personal mobile.

If you guys are interested contact sean; [email protected] .

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Originally posted by stacks
    So if I have a phone on a monthly contract can I put that contract cost through as a monthly expense through my Ltd?
    Yes and No!

You can put through the cost of the calls that you incur wholly as a business expense, and the equivalent proportion of the line rental.

The personal calls are not expensable. If the company pays these they are a P11D item, and you will be taxed on a benefit in kind.

The simplest solution is to have a company phone, and a personal one, only use the company one for calls you incur as part of your work, and if staying away I believe you can also put through calls up to the IR incidental expenses limit.

Have another phone for yourself that you use for personal calls.

It gets rather grey if you can for instance prove that if you have a company phone with 400 minutes free you still are paying charges on the business calls but if you upped it to 1000 mins you actually saved money but could now cover your private calls in the allowance.

You'd need to be able to prove that the above was correct however and even then it may not be permissible.

Leave a comment:

• stacks
    replied
    So if I have a phone on a monthly contract can I put that contract cost through as a monthly expense through my Ltd?

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    BT provide 2 business lines to us - one is purley for business incoming and outgoing calls - the other is a "backup" line. Both go into a DECT 15 way telephone excahange.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    I do simply so I don't have to go through the process of apportioning calls for business & personal. Naturally all the calls on my business phone are strictly business....!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    On a related note, do most peolpe have a seperate land line at home for business use?

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    If it is a personal one that is charged to the company, then the charges are deemed to be a benefit in kind (P11D) unless you certify that they are wholly for business use. Gets more complicated.....

I am trying to switch my account over but not had luck yet. As I am only just completing my first year of trading the Newbury based operator has requested I send them a purchase order (amongst other things). As I dont have one I have to put one together.......! More time!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X