• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

85%? Surely not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85%? Surely not?

Woo, first post cherry popped.....

I've been working with a brolly since March and I've been getting a return of about 70% of invoices. I'm claiming minimal lunch expenses - normally about £3-4 per day and about 10k miles.

They've sent me this email this morning - surely this is bollux! There's no way you can get 85% from a "normal" brolly??

I've taken the brolly name out but I'll happily name and shame if the general feeling is that this is bulltulip!

Are you a contractor working in Human Resources?

Did you know that ********* Umbrella can help you achieve up to 85% net pay after tax?

Whether you work through an agency or are paid through the clients payroll, we can help maximise your net pay.

*********** Umbrella have negotiated fixed benchmark dispensations with HMRC. Because you are a contractor, you are entitled to claim back certain everyday expenses incurred in carrying out your duties as well as one of special allowances.

For example:-

*Travel to and from your place of work

*Everyday Meal allowances

*Late or early working meal allowances

*Accommodation costs for working away from home.

In most case receipts are not required as we work to agreed benchmark scales.

********** calculate your pay for you taking into account any expenses that you are due and produce a full payslip for you. We pay you weekly based on timesheets and are utilised by many top agencies in the industry.

We are able to help you if you are working through an agency or are paid through the end clients payroll.

One 5 minute phone call to us will establish for sure if this service is for you or not, just call one of our consultants on ***********.

kind regards

The usual dodgy brolly BS.

They will push you to claim anything and everything as expenses and tell you you don't need receipts. You don't for them but you will when Hector comes calling. Anything you claim for is your responcibility as far as the tax man is concerned and the Brolly certainly won;t get involved in any investigation.

70% is pretty good as far as brolly returns go. If you want to do better legitimately then going Ltd is the best way to do it.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

hmmmm

I was reading somewhere in the forums yesterday that there are also Umbrellas that do NOT charge any fees....

Be careful I reckon or get some recommendations first

Comment

They've probably got it up to 85% by assuming you are staying in a hotel and that you claim £15 subsistence.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I can better that. I'll give you a Swiss account number, get your agency to pay into that. I'll pay you 90% of what the agency pays.

When you want to go ahead, PM me and I'll send you my overseas PO Box address.

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
          Presumably they will contractually guarantee you 85% and absolve you of any legal or taxation issues with Hector?
          Edit: I'll also provide a (.PDF) certificate stating you are guaranteed to be absolved of all tax or legislative issues, past, present and future. And the deeds to a square kilometre of the moon. And a star named after you. And a bit of the Berlin Wall. And a crystal that will attract the Earth's good energy and bring you luck. And some lucky heather.
          Last edited by RichardCranium; 5 November 2009, 17:09. Reason: Adding value
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

If you could legitimately take home 85%, do you not think that EVERYONE would be working that way, since there would be no IR35 to deal with?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I dont see a problem here.

Presumably they will contractually guarantee you 85% and absolve you of any legal or taxation issues with Hector??

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
                hmmmm

I was reading somewhere in the forums yesterday that there are also Umbrellas that do NOT charge any fees....

Be careful I reckon or get some recommendations first
                I remember something like that too. Their income was from the interest they got on the balances held by them on your behalf. Or something..

Comment

Thought so.....

Thanks for the replies....

When I saw the 85% headline, I thought they must be pushing something like and EBT but knowing them as I do now there's no way would have the nous to run one! I think they've only been going for about a year.

I was pushed to use them by my agency as they said they would not use my previous brolly (Parasol) due to some sort of compliance issue. There's actually some connection between the agency and the brolly - I did a bit of digging on Companies House and there's common directors.....surely a bit dodgy but who am I to say. Also strangely, I think the guy that sent me the email used to work at Parasol too, it's a familiar name anyway. It seems the brolly business is a bit incestuous!

Anyway, going Limited for my next gig in December so be gentle with me when I start asking the usual newbie questions.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovehr View Post
                    Anyway, going Limited for my next gig in December so be gentle with me when I start asking the usual newbie questions.
                    You can avoid that by doing a bit of research first.

Comment

Working...
                    X