• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paid as a loan from a trust fund

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    (drink speaking...excuse me)

Don't think that really proves anything. It's such a tempting market to go into.

Setup a website telling everyone they can keep 95% of their income, the other 5% being your fee.

Doesn't matter whether you've got any decent legal standing for what you're doing or not, you tell the individual to not disclose any income, you'll get a few naive people to sign up.

They don't file a return for 18 months or so, and HMRC won't raise an enquiry straight away.

During this time, the individual thinks the scheme is great, they get a few of their mates to sign up (especially as you give them £100-500 for each mate they sign up), and the scheme provider gets a nice big fee for doing nothing.

Enquiry only gets raised 3 years in, at which point you tell the individual it'll all be fine, they're confident, they've taken cash out for last 3 years with no issues.

After about 5 years it goes to court...or whatever, and scheme provider does a runner, having taken 4-5 years worth of fees from lots of people based on a scheme that had no substance to begin with.

Like I say, good market to be in...think I might go for it myself!n

Within the bottle here is a strong message. I think that there is an appearance of more scheme providers but that is all it is. The reality is that if you want to enter into scheme then you need to look at who is providing it, what else are they doing, how long have they been operating, how many countries, how dependent are they on income from the scheme you are looking at for their long term survival?

When you have done that realtively simple piece of homework you will discover that there are the same number of scheme providers (tax planners) as there ever were and the rest are doing little more than ripping off someone elses IP for their own benefit. There is no guarantee that these charlatans operate the scheme as it should be run with all the documents being executed in the right way in the right jurisdictions. Thus there is no guarantee that you are even getting what you thought you were.

The opening post on this thread was probably spam for someone else setting up a loan scheme. They won't be there to defend it in 5 years time, they'll be on the proverbial beach with a number of elevated fingers pointed in your direction.

I've made this point about quality of provider so many times but we still get the questions. You wouldn't take a contract with Charlatan Limited without finding out who they are so why just give them all your income??? Where's that bottle?
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
      I've made this point about quality of provider so many times but we still get the questions. You wouldn't take a contract with Charlatan Limited without finding out who they are so why just give them all your income??? Where's that bottle?
      The problem is you and I speak from experience. I have to confess that when I joined the Montpelier scheme I didn't carry out the level of due diligence into the company that I would do if I was considering it now.

Looking back, it was more a case of luck that I ended up with a decent provider.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        The problem is you and I speak from experience. I have to confess that when I joined the Montpelier scheme I didn't carry out the level of due diligence into the company that I would do if I was considering it now.

Looking back, it was more a case of luck that I ended up with a decent provider.
        You're quite right but back then the people who marketed the schemes were the people who devised them because that was their business. The charlatans arrived later. However, for many of the later arrivals as I understand it you never even get to meet them!!! I met with Montpelier personnel twice, once at their Knightsbridge office.

There are plenty of threads on CUK which provide the knowledge - BN66 shows what can happen in a world where the provider is still around and prepared to fund the fight. Sunday Solutions, Prosperity4/Tarpon and many others show what happens in flybynight country.
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          I have to confess that when I joined the Montpelier scheme I didn't carry out the level of due diligence into the company that I would do if I was considering it now.

yep, me too. I am still with MP - I must be a glutton for stress and worry

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
            You're quite right but back then the people who marketed the schemes were the people who devised them because that was their business. The charlatans arrived later. However, for many of the later arrivals as I understand it you never even get to meet them!!! I met with Montpelier personnel twice, once at their Knightsbridge office.

There are plenty of threads on CUK which provide the knowledge - BN66 shows what can happen in a world where the provider is still around and prepared to fund the fight. Sunday Solutions, Prosperity4/Tarpon and many others show what happens in flybynight country.
            Hmmm, I'm not caught in any of this stuff. But I must admit, when I first started contracting, my head was almost turned by the old style P4, who at the time (IIRC) had some kind of offshore scam running. I started with a Ltd Co only because P4 smelled a bit fishy. A lucky escape for me.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by StellaFan View Post
              yep, me too. I am still with MP - I must be a glutton for stress and worry
              heh heh. yep me too

Comment

As a total aside, as part of a compeltely different conversation. I looked up waht a "Tarpon" was the other day. Seems it's an Atlantic-dwelling fishy predator of no commercial value whatsoever and is usually thrown back if caught.

Dunno why - it seemed a good choice of name to me...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

What do Tarpon actually do? All I see of them is some videos on YouTube with images of skaters, rock music, and the occasional flashes of text like "Take hom 85% of earnings" and "Market leading dispensations".

I figured they were an umbrella company that openly encouraged their clients to take huge flat rate expenses not actually incurred.

Are they actually offshore scheme bods?

Comment

These days they're a typical umbrella company with a slightly dodgy line in advertising and a very uninformative website. Nothing at all like old companies like Prosperity4, who went bust a while back - around the time Tarpon was set up, oddly enough - when they allegedly spent the tax money, and who, I believe but ICBW, used to have an offshore scheme or two.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X