• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract in Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Not nestlecerily... (see wot I done there?). There are big Financial and Tobacco companies out there too..

There's to Switzerland more than chocolate.

Someone called me yesterday for a ServiceCenter contract this week, I'm in contract so couldn't do it.

(Also not sure I'd take it this time unless I could persuade Mr C to come with me...)
    there's more to nestle than chocolate...in fact thats one of their smaller product lines nowadays compared to all the other stuff..

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Not nestlecerily... (see wot I done there?). There are big Financial and Tobacco companies out there too..
      And pharma.

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
      Approximately, following the employment route, how much will you get net from a E500 pd contact ?
      http://en.comparis.ch/immigration/tax/default.aspx
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          And pharma.
          And cookoo clocks.

And multi-functional knives.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
            It depends on the canton you live how much tax you have to pay.
            This is a biggy. There is a massive difference between the tax payable between Zurich and Geneva as they are in different cantons. The tax is considerably higher in Geneva as is the cost of living in terms of accomodation particularly.

It pays to do your sums carefully before you accept a role as otw you could get a shock at how much you are left iwth net after tax, flights, accomod etc.

Comment

Working in Switzerland

You also have the possibility of living in France or Germany and not paying
              Swiss taxes ie Working in Basel and living in Mulhouse. This would be the option if you were a French tax resident.
              I received CH1500 a month tax free travel allowance+ paid CH3500 3rd pillar
              pension so paid about 20% tax.
              DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE in your calculation
              if your contract is longer than 3 months as this is required by law.
              You will have to take this out yourself and If you don't the canton has powers
              to force you to choose the provider of their choice.
              This works out at about CH250 for minimum cover.
              There is more to Switzerland than Clocks and Chocolate.
              There are a lot of Muti-National companies set up in Switzerland to take
              advantage of the low taxes so they need your IT skills.
              90% of my ex collegues were non swiss. The non europeans do the dirty work
              and the Germans and the other europeans do the skilled work. The Swiss do government bureaucratic work.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
                DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE in your calculation if your contract is longer than 3 months as this is required by law.

You will have to take this out yourself and If you don't the canton has powers to force you to choose the provider of their choice. This works out at about CH250 for minimum cover.
                That figure is per month. Just as with tax and accommodation prices, the cost of health insurance varies by area:-

http://www.comparis.ch/krankenkassen/default.aspx

Note that it asks for your post code. Swiss postcode directory
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  And cookoo clocks.
                  WRONG

That's the Tyrol and the Black Forest. If it hasn't been already, that's going to be QI question pretty soon.

Comment

You also have the possibility of living in France or Germany and not paying Swiss taxes ie Working in Basel and living in Mulhouse.
                    Lörrach, Weil am Rhein, St Louis, Huningue are considerably closer. And less awful.

If you're single, however, French and German taxes are considerably higher than Swiss, so why would you want to do that?

The Swiss do government bureaucratic work.
                    I did wonder, since the Swiss are rarely seen in the offices I work in.

Note that, generally, tax rate has a correlation to health insurance premiums, and an inverse correlation to rents.
                    Last edited by NotAllThere; 31 August 2009, 12:03.

Comment

Basel is somewhere u go to die

Comment

Working...
                      X