• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Service Company Question in Personal Self assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exact wording was "In relation to IR35, it was noted the two part question 6 currently asked on the P35 will be merged into one “Are you a service company who has operated the Intermediaries legislation (sometimes known as IR35) or the Managed Service Companies legislation?”. The question will be embedded into the PAYE regulations for 2013/14 and it will become a legal requirement to answer it on the last return for the tax year"

So yes you may be right - depends on what they mean by 'embedded' I suppose (nice and clear as usual) As I understand it, if you answer yes an IR35 investigation will automatically be triggered making life easier for those lovely folks at HMRC
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Yes, that rings a bell.

I think the problem is with "operated".

You could interpret "operated" as considering yourself IR35 caught and paying a compliant salary.

Or, in extremis could applying the status tests and deciding that you were outside as IR35 be "operated" - in which case it's a red flag question.

Hopefully the IR35 forum will elicit some guidance on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
        Yes, that rings a bell.

I think the problem is with "operated".

You could interpret "operated" as considering yourself IR35 caught and paying a compliant salary.

Or, in extremis could applying the status tests and deciding that you were outside as IR35 be "operated" - in which case it's a red flag question.

Hopefully the IR35 forum will elicit some guidance on this.
        I think we all know what they mean but, as usual, it is pretty badly worded. There don't seem to be any IR35 forum minutes available on the HMR&C website after July but I am fairly sure there has been a meeting since
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Yep, I notice the absence of minutes as well.

I'ld agree there is a common sense interpretation, but, well, it is disconcerting we have to rely on common sense

Plus ça change

Comment

With respect to the question on the SA form it appears to be clear enough that the provider of the service needs to enter gross dividends + salary into the box under "Service Companies".

However with regard to the significant other - the company secretary - my reading is that a zero entry is correct. Guidance found elsewhere states ...

Eric is a tax consultant. He trades through Eric Ltd. The whole of Eric Ltd's income is derived from work which Eric performs personally. Eric Ltd is not caught by IR35. 50% of the shares in Eric Ltd are owned by Fiona, Eric's wife.

Eric Ltd is a 'service company' in relation to Eric and the total remuneration and dividends which Eric receives from Eric Ltd should be shown in the 'service company' box (as well as being shown in the appropriate boxes elsewhere on the return). However, Eric Ltd is not a 'service company' in relation to Fiona. Therefore the income which Fiona derives from Eric Ltd should not be shown in the 'service company' box on either her own or Eric's tax return (it does of course need to be shown as income in the appropriate reporting boxes of Fiona's tax return).

Despite being a poor company name (!!) does the forum concur that this is the correct approach. Our accountant has entered a gross dividend + salary figure on both of our SA's - correct for me but not for the other half in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by v5srv View Post
              Despite being a poor company name (!!) does the forum concur that this is the correct approach. Our accountant has entered a gross dividend + salary figure on both of our SA's - correct for me but not for the other half in my opinion.
              You are correct, it should only appear on your return if you were the only one providing your services through the company. The second shareholder doesn't need to complete this box.

Hope this helps!
              Craig

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                As I understand it the declaration of your IR35 status on your self-assessment is mandatory and stating you are outside will then result in a letter asking you to prove it
                What would be deemed as acceptable proof?

Will correspondence from a IR35 Contract Review be enough?
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

With P35s no longer used at the end of the year due to RTI, where would this service companies/IR35 question now be asked?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    With P35s no longer used at the end of the year due to RTI, where would this service companies/IR35 question now be asked?
                    The service company question is asked on the final RTI submission of the year, but it is now a single question rather than two.

The question on the self-assessment about service company income will not be changing, as far as I know...

Hope this helps!
                    Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
                      The service company question is asked on the final RTI submission of the year, but it is now a single question rather than two.

The question on the self-assessment about service company income will not be changing, as far as I know...

Hope this helps!
                      Craig
                      Thanks. So in your opinion if we previously answered YES/NO do we just answer NO this year?

Looking at this:
                      http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rti/ir35.pdf

My interpretation of the final point under Reporting Arrangements is that HMRC only want you to answer YES if you are caught by IR35.
                      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 27 November 2013, 10:58.

Comment

Working...
                      X