• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland / UBS / Bank accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose coming from London I can understand that. I pop over from Germany, so Switzerland is a bit of a come down. Have you been to Basel? not very nice. I mean yes there are parts of Zürich that are nice but a lot of it is a concrete jungle.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 August 2009, 07:06.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
      I don't know about this 6am thing, there may very well be an issue for people under a flight path but as for Zurich as a whole, we have spent large amounts of time there and have friends and family there and nobody has ever complained about that (I think the church bells get compained about more). Besides, we hardly escape the problem here, noise pollution around airports is a global issue. Interestingly, I see a homeowner successfully sued Zurich airport for damages because their home lost value due to noise pollution , I couldn't see that ever happening in the UK (http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/front/Ai...77366000&ty=st)

What exactly are you referring to?

As a Londoner I look at Zurich with envy. It is pretty, very clean, it all works, the standard of living is very high (even low paid Swiss jobs would be considered good salaries here). There is fresh air and clear water lakes. In fact, Zurich is often at the top of the "best place to live in the world" charts. It is family friendly and when you come back to London from staying there, your heart sinks because London is dirty and feels possitively third world by comparison. I went on the Bakerloo line the other day and it looked worse than India. The Swiss seem to be quite sorted as far as I can see, they certainly don't feel weak. If anything they have a massive superiority complex.
      im sure the trams would look similar with an extra 12million people, you need to remember the relatively small population of zurich. it is quite awesome not wrestling with all 12 million on the way to work though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
        ... The Swiss seem to be quite sorted as far as I can see, they certainly don't feel weak. If anything they have a massive superiority complex.
        Which is odd, considering they're not British.

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        I suppose coming from London I can understand that. I pop over from Germany, so Switzerland is a bit of a come down. Have you been to Basel? not very nice. ...
        Arriving from the German autobahn, it's reminiscent of Sheffield on the M1. But they have a sign up now saying "Welcome to Basel", with a scenic riverfront picture. Like they're saying - ignore what you see out of your car window, this is what Basel really looks like.

Having said that, from my 6th floor office window, near the Munster, I've a cracking view of the Vosges (France), Schwarzwald (Germany) and the Jura (Switzerland).
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X