• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

15% tax schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I queried by PM one of the schemes that has been mentioned on here. I got this response:

I'm afriad I can't say anymore than that unless you are prepared to come to our offices to meet in person and discuss further. To make an appointment please call <telno>.
    Not an address or even a real name. At least it was a landline!

That makes me think of holiday timeshare and pyramid schemes.

I have a 18' bargepole if anyone wants to borrow it.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      I queried by PM one of the schemes that has been mentioned on here. I got this response:

Its almost certainly legitimate : but will be aggressive planning. I suggest a 1' bargepole......

Comment

I'm afriad I can't say anymore than that unless you are prepared to come to our offices to meet in person and discuss further. To make an appointment please call <telno>.
        I think that this in itself should act as a warning sign that the "scheme" being oferred is not completely without risk, i.e. you cant read a How To on some reliable website for instance.

Thats not the same as if you work through a reliable Umbrella Company or your own limited Company.

If all the details are not available publically then it all relies on "using the tax legislation to your advantage" which therefore may end up in someone arguing the case in a court as HMRC will see it one way and your scheme provider will see it in another.

If you want that kind of hassle then go for it.

My experience tells me that most people regret the hassle they get in these schemes, and I think there is an abundance of evidence of this on these fourms.

Phil
        Last edited by PhilAtBFCA; 23 July 2009, 07:41. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

My name is Paul and you have the telephone number. Call me and I'll explain the options over the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Meades & Co View Post
            My name is Paul and you have the telephone number. Call me and I'll explain the options over the phone.
            Call him call him call him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::::::::::::
            Last edited by ChimpMaster; 23 July 2009, 09:36.

Comment

Mods?

Originally posted by bigmaz View Post
              6th July 2009, 10:55 - new user, 1 post
              Hi

I am a contractor, and I go through an Umbrella Company. I have never really understood how it all works, I just know I get a wage at the end of every week. But I took time just to see how much i get in my pocket per hour after tax and Umbrella company fees. Basically, I am on 20.70 per hour, and after a 37.5 hour week, i get the equivelant of £13.42 per hour in my pocket, I thought this seems pretty low. Does this figure seem right to you guys?

Kind Regards
              Originally posted by Petestar1969 View Post
              17th July 2009, 17:45 - new user, 7 posts
              I need a decent accountant to advise me how to go about this, if there is such a thing as a decent accountant.

Any recommendations?
              Originally posted by Petestar1969 View Post
              19th July 2009, 10:12
              I'm in Hertfordshire, any local firms there you can recommend?

I don't like the idea of using a firm with lots of offices, would prefer the personal touch even if it costs a bit more.
              Originally posted by Meades & Co
              20th July 2009, 16:06
              Hi Pete

I'm a local accountant based in Hertfordshire and run a couple of alternative schemes for contractors. We complete all of the paperwork for some contractors and charge £95 per month on a flat fee basis. Alternatively we have access to another scheme that can provide up to 85% of the value of your contract in your pocket after taxes and fees.

We also have other services and tax saving opportunities that you may be interested in.

If you are interested in knowing more then please send me a pm.
              Originally posted by Petestar1969
              20th July 2009, 18:20
              Does that £95 include VAT?

Would like more info on the 85% scheme.

I can't send pms, I think because I'm new here. Please post what you can in the main thread.

Cheers
              Petestar1969 looks like Meades & Co to me and BigMaz might be too

Can anyone else smell the ?

BTW, I am not having a go at the new "Rupert Matthews". They have a photo, web site and full contact details. They look like just another accountancy, good luck to 'em. Unless Meades & Co are even more devious than I thinkl!
              If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by chavvy View Post
                I am currently depressed at the amount of tax I pay as a Ltd Company.
                Aren't we all...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty View Post
                  Petestar1969 looks like Meades & Co to me and BigMaz might be too

Can anyone else smell the ?

BTW, I am not having a go at the new "Rupert Matthews". They have a photo, web site and full contact details. They look like just another accountancy, good luck to 'em. Unless Meades & Co are even more devious than I thinkl!
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

There would appear to be alot of sceptics on this forum about offshore schemes with no facts just fear. I was just about to sign up to one but now am unsure. Has anyone here ever gone to HMRC or an independent tax authority about offshore solutions? Why isnt there any clarity on what is and what isnt going to result in an investigation in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie T View Post
                      Has anyone here ever gone to HMRC or an independent tax authority about offshore solutions? Why isn't there any clarity on what is and what isn't going to result in an investigation in the future?
                      Go on then.

Be sure to report back.

With an advert for your service, no doubt.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X