• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I/Should I not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I/Should I not?

been out of work for 6 months isnt great or easy. anyway, I finally got a contract and it is for 2.5 weeks, which is almost up however there is a good chance for extension.

in the mean time, I had another offer put on the table to start on Tuesday after my first contract finishes which is great as this rarely happens however the agency/end client has been stubborn and wanted me to finish my contract yesterday to start today as they need someone "urgent" and didnt realise they wanted someone that quick.... its funny how it works in today's economic climate where clients take now FOREVER to come to a decision... talking weeks for feedback. But anyway.....

The agency has been pushy over the phone and wanted me to take the contract even though it is lower pay than the pay I am on now but squeezed it up to what I am earning now (a couple of quid short though)

fair enough, however since nothing has been signed in terms of documents and even though I accepted the contract (without choice), where do I stand of backing out? of course they would go nuts over the phone but then again... she cornered me and the client messed around saying initially they wanted to interview me, then they wanted me to come straight in without interview.... then they said they wanna interview me.

so... im confused and no idea what to do.

if I get an extension, I would rather take it as its better pay and would establish trust/long term relations with the client where as the other one is lower pay and is up to 3 months

what should i do?

Cheers,

I only verbally accept "subject to suitable contract". I hope you did the same.

The want the extension. Push for it. Keep the other contract dangling without signing. Prefrably find something in the contract to argue about.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Cheers Brillo!

well by law, I haven't signed anything therefore... its not official. I havent even stepped into the office or even been near the area of work.

but should there be an extension, I hope it is for a good amount of time (i.e 2 months+) but if not, ill just take this other contract.

What should I say to the agent if I want to not proceed with the contract?

Comment

Assuming I'm reading it right you haven't signed the second contract yet, if you've been offered an extension at your current gig (solid not just talk) then you can phone Agent 2 and politely decline their offer.
        Agent 2 will whine and moan at you, but since they and their client have been slow and you haven't signed up for the contract then there's no issue other than your moral one over having said yes.

Bird in the hand option is the only rational one to take.

Comment

exactly and yes it is correct, I have NOT signed contract 2 nor do I have any paperwork by post or email (they offered the role to me today).

in all fairness, client hasnt been slow just fussy/pushy maybe or its the agent, as the agent has apperently being trying to do everything to get this contract for me (whatever that means)

but yes, in total agreeance.... will see if there is a solid extension and if it can be negotiated to my terms..... and if so, great ill ring and say i cant accept and ill take the beating (not my fault for being put into a corner as agents are pushy and will do everything to make you take it) otherwise no loss, ill take contract #2

Comment

You can try to use this as a lever with your current gig to get that extension sorted. If you have a good relationship with them, it's better that you talk to them about it I think and give them the chance to extend you.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

This pushy agent wants you to accept the 2nd contract so that she can

a) make money off you from that 2nd contract
              b) place someone else in at your current client and make money again.

Speak with your current client honestly and openly about this. Explain that you would really like to stay there so need to know how long they might need you for. Tell him that there is a longer term (... & higher paying ) contract on the table that you need to accept/reject based on whether they want you to stay.

Comment

whs.

and a contract signed or otherwise is fairly meaningless if you don't actually show up. not to be recommended but it can be done that way if all else fails.

i'd open dialog right now with your current client - they may be assuming you will stay on - tell them you really do have another gig and are being pressured to accept. your options will become clear soon enough.

Comment

Is it the same agent for both gigs?

If so I doubt the current client would be happy about this.

Comment

Working...
                  X