• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When banking stops being free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

free - no £170 plus £30 one off fee.

so about £14 a month

much prefer the zero per mnth abbey
    Twitter: jonsmile

Comment

Originally posted by JonSmile View Post
      free - no £170 plus £30 one off fee.

so about £14 a month

much prefer the zero per mnth abbey
      Yes, I looked and could not see why I should want to join. Not that that is any criticism of the FSB. But it sure is not a free way to get free banking.

Comment

Originally posted by 18L3 View Post
        Cater Allen is excellent. Free banking (unless you're making some wacky amount of transactions a month). Direct Debit visa card (also free). Internet banking. And any time I've had to phone them up they've been professional, helpful and friendly. I'd recommend them to anyone.

P.S. I do not work for Cater Allen.
        Agreed....another vote for CA from me
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by whattodo View Post
          Hi all,

I'm guessing most of you have got to the stage where business banking stops being free, or even has a monthly "maintenance" charge on an account.

Has anyone switched business accounts to one that's pretty much free? Was it a painless process or were there lots of annoyances like "meeting the manager"?

I just took a look at an application form for a business account with a high street bank and it was 12 pages of intrusive questions. I'm wondering whether it's worth switching or putting up with the charges
          To be honest, Banking (both personal and business) is not free and will never be free, no matter how they disguise it. What you don't pay in monthly fees, they take from you in interest and other charges (such as unauthorised overdraft, bounched cheques, etc). That is how they make their money. If you have been good, the charges are lower. But you will still be shafted on the interest.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Ferrari do free banking.

You just need to buy a new Ferrari every 3 years to qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Ferrari do free banking.

You just need to buy a new Ferrari every 3 years to qualify.
              Pity. I'm trying to stretch my Ferraris to 4 years to save money.

HTH
              Threaded

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Pity. I'm trying to stretch my Ferraris to 4 years to save money.

HTH
                Threaded
                Only 4? I would have pushed for 5 or 6.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

For what it's worth I'm with Abbey and it's 100% free. Yes the website was a PITA but all seems fine now. Cater Allen are part of the same group and also free but expect them to get a similar 'upgrade' soon.

My prob with Abbey is that their customer service is atrocious if you want to do anything out of the norm. They have no business staff in the local branches anymore so you cannot go and see anyone face to face.

Recent PITA example was wanting to make a transfer into an international account. They email you the form and you have to fax it back. Fax FFS! Apparently email is not clear enough!!!

I suppose you get what you pay for.

Comment

Moved from coop to cater allen.

Coop's internet banking leaves a lot to be desired, the facility doesn't work a lot of the time, is woefully insecure and they only allow you to access 6 months of accounts.
                    What use is that when you're trying to do your year end accounts!!!

I like the idea of ethical banking but...
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      But they've had their cockup, you should be safe for a couple of years... any other bank might do something similar any time
                      So if the garage where you have your car serviced damages your car then kind of fixes it, you'd happily take it back there again!?

I know I wouldnt. Once bitten...............
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X