• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel expenses - change of location (4miles)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel expenses - change of location (4miles)

Basically if i have a contact for 2 years, during this time claiming traveling expenses, and then sign another contact with the same company for a year but moving offices 4 miles away, would you still be able to claim the traveling tempory workplace expenses?

I imagine not!

Originally posted by chrisl View Post
    Basically if i have a contact for 2 years, during this time claiming traveling expenses, and then sign another contact with the same company for a year but moving offices 4 miles away, would you still be able to claim the traveling tempory workplace expenses?

I imagine not!

You imagine right unfortunately chrisl The 24 month rule would apply as the distance you will be travelling will not be changing 'significantly' from one contract to the other
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      You imagine right unfortunately chrisl The 24 month rule would apply as the distance you will be travelling will not be changing 'significantly' from one contract to the other

Is that the only condition ? I live in North Wales and the distance to South Wales and Newcastle is the same for me

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        If that 4 miles happens to straddle a national, county, council border or ticket pricing zone etc. you might be able to argue the toss.

Comment

The (admittedly very poorly defined rule) is that if the journey is substantially the same in direction, duration and distance then the 24 month rule applies. As soon as you're aware that you're likely to cross 24 months then you should stop expense claims.

A 4 mile difference in the same town is substantially the same trip so the rule applies.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            The (admittedly very poorly defined rule) is that if the journey is substantially the same in direction, duration and distance then the 24 month rule applies. As soon as you're aware that you're likely to cross 24 months then you should stop expense claims.

A 4 mile difference in the same town is substantially the same trip so the rule applies.
            Not neceseraly.

If the OP was commuting 0.5 miles and now will be commuting 4.5 miles then it is a substantially different journey. IMO.

However if the change is 50 miles to 54 then it isn't.
            Still Invoicing

Comment

I agree, 2 miles north or 2 miles south are completely different journeys so allowed. 200 miles, turn left for 2 miles and 200 miles, turn right for 2 miles are substantially the same journey hence disallowed.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisl View Post

I imagine not!
                Just claim it!

HMRC have to spot it first! If you work through an umbrella, they normally stop you claiming even if you're in the same county with a different client so, you'd be stuffed.

If you have your own ltd, just claim it. I did. Never been queried by HMRC either.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If it was me I would claim it and just leave it up to the f**kers to prove you wrong. Then again I pay for business legal cover for such events...
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

WHS - if the journey is substantially different, then claim it. If it isn't, then don't.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X