• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

. . Germany - the taxman cometh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    dx4100 puts it better than I ever could

Comment

Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
      I understand your point entirely, but its easy to get caught up in it when a) everyone's doing it, b) you are in a foreign country and dont really know how things work, c) you are persuaded it is a tax planning arrangement, not evasion but avoidance (very similar I think to what Barclays Bank does on an industrial scale).

I just dont like this yah boo tough titty attitude some kinds of people relish in.
      a) No defense - everyone's jumping off a cliff and you follow? Rubbish. You're responsible, being stupid is no defense.
      b) I've worked in a foreign country and I still don't owe taxes there. I paid what was owed legally.
      c) If you're that easily persuaded they you should not be contracting then.

It's plain that this scheme is evasion *not* avoidance. If everyone here was in the right and they did nothing wrong why are they all bending over to pay taxes back to the german authorities? If they didn't do anything wrong and it was all legal you don't have anything to worry about?

Comment

[QUOTE=krankyd;797410]a) No defense - everyone's jumping off a cliff and you follow? Rubbish. You're responsible, being stupid is no defense.
        QUOTE]

OK, I've tried reasoned argument and you are resortng to insult.
        Quite obviously you are far more intelligent and ethical person than the thousands who have been persuaded into these schemes by agents, colleagues whatever. Incidentally, I am not one of them.

This is my last response on this thread so all I have to say
        is f**k you you arrogant tw*t

Comment

[QUOTE=poppy01;797494]
          Originally posted by krankyd View Post
          a) No defense - everyone's jumping off a cliff and you follow? Rubbish. You're responsible, being stupid is no defense.
          QUOTE]

OK, I've tried reasoned argument and you are resorting to insult.
          Quite obviously you are far more intelligent and ethical person than the thousands who have been persuaded into these schemes by agents, colleagues whatever. Incidentally, I am not one of them.

This is my last response on this thread so all I have to say
          is f**k you you arrogant tw*t

Comment

I got a personal visit from the tax authorities last week. I can assure you it was not a pleasant experience.

I can now confirm that they have very detailed information about all Mr H's clients and MC A. Based on the information I got directly from them, I am quite sure all his clients will have to come clean for all the tax years filed using his services, either voluntarily or through lawsuit.
            So every person on his books is going to be checked by the finanzamt.

A colleague of mine has been all above board albeit through Mr H. Does that mean that he is not going to be investigated or will his paperwork still be scrutinised too by the finanzamt?

Comment

I understood they have taken the files of all Mr H's clients. If his matters are clearly OK, he will probably never hear from the Finanzamt or realise his files have been checked. Even if they would visit him or make enquiries otherwise, if he has filed all his income, there will naturally be no consequences for him.

Even if the Finanzamt would make a tax audit, it should be a a fairly simple procedure. There is nothing strange in having one's files checked. Typically a German freelancer has got to go through a tax audit every 4-5 years.

However, it has now turned out that Mr H. has not passed all the necessary documents to Finanzamt. I had to get new copies of some documents, as it seems he has just kept (or lost) some papers, which should have been given to Finanzamt with the tax returns. So it may be that even the clients who have filed correct incomes will have to supplement some of the paperwork done by Mr H.

Comment

slow painful process

apology for doubting you earlier lonerider. friend of mine got the knock on the door the other day...very nasty.
                the men from the finance said it would be a slow process as they are under staffed for the number of calls they need to make, 6-12 months to tidy up all the leads from Mr H! fingers crossed then and time to hide under a stone until it all blows over!

Comment

Once they've knocked on the door, you can't do a "selbst-anzeige". Until then you can, even if they already have your details. You can still "turn yourself in", and avoid penalties.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Once they've knocked on the door, you can't do a "selbst-anzeige". Until then you can, even if they already have your details. You can still "turn yourself in", and avoid penalties.
                    I concur.

Comment

Investigation

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Not quite. I believe that the trigger is the launching of a formal investigation. You are not informed about this when it happens and there can be a delay of months before the knock on the door because that requires a warrant issued by a magistrate. The delay is also due to the large workload that the authorities have. You do have the right to enquire whether an investigation is opened against you or not, but this probably blows the gaff and puts u on the radar scope if you're not there already.

CK

Comment

Working...
                      X