• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Change of Co Name/Reissue Invoices?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of Co Name/Reissue Invoices?

Hopefully, this is a quick question!

Before starting up my own Ltd Co, I did some work for a (now ex) friend. I invoiced her Ltd Co (as me t/as whatever), and never got paid. Funnily enough, we have subsequently fallen out.

I am owed just shy of £4k for the work I did and would like to recover it. She has never disputed the quality of the work or the invoice values. My Ltd Co was only formed a couple of months ago, having used a brolly for a short while whilst considering my options.

What I would like to know, is whether I can reissue the invoices (dating back to Sept 2004) on my new Ltd Co letterhead and state that the old company has changed names, blah blah and all monies are now owed to the new company. If I can do this, should I keep the original invoice dates, or would I have to redate them to reflect when my Ltd Co started trading?

I will be taking legal advice on how best to recover the money but would like to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

Thanks for your help!

There are no problems with your NewCo buying the debts of your OldCo, happens all the time in the world of business. Just make sure it's all documented and everything should be hunky-dory.

Recommend you try a "no joy, no fee" debt collection agency before going legal though. It's a lot cheaper and if they get no results you pay nowt.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Or you might employ a Giant Alien Lizard to bite her legs off for free.

Crunchy.
      Will you do it forra fiver?

Comment

Unfortunately, giant alien lizard saliva will cause genetic mutations causing numerous legs to regrow in all sorts of odd places. One poor lady in Dover who was bitten was sued by several farmers in Australia because her legs kept sprouting out of their sheep and reducing the wool yield.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

That's great, thanks for the suggestions!

I reckon a no-win no-fee chappy with big fists (sorry, I meant better experience and resources) might be slightly more effective than the giant alien lizard though. Are there any companies that are particularly good that someone could recommend?

Comment

Friend of mine used these people and recommended them. He was impressed how quickly they got money extracted from what he assumed was a lost cause. Also, the longer it takes them to get your money, the lower the fee you pay (down to nowt if they either don't recover it or it takes them more than 60 days).

http://www.recoveryourdebts.com/main.asp

Comment

and we're nosey gits, so let us know how you got on..
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

eek!

Just found out that my ex-pal is going to wind up her Ltd Co. Is it still worth me going ahead with 'sending the boys round' within the next 3 months before Companies House finalise the paperwork?

What other recovery options are available to me if the company is wound up before I get paid?

I'm prepared for bad news, I have a hunch this is going to be the most expensive lesson I've ever had! (apart from once buying a 1.0 VW Polo and being overtaken by a milk float)

Comment

Send the boys round now before the company is wound up.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
                    Just found out that my ex-pal is going to wind up her Ltd Co. Is it still worth me going ahead with 'sending the boys round' within the next 3 months before Companies House finalise the paperwork?

What other recovery options are available to me if the company is wound up before I get paid?

I'm prepared for bad news, I have a hunch this is going to be the most expensive lesson I've ever had! (apart from once buying a 1.0 VW Polo and being overtaken by a milk float)
                    Don't you realise that you can object to the dissolving of the company? As a creditor, you can raise an official objection to Companies House and the company cannot be struck off as long as the objection remains.

Comment

Working...
                    X