• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Time to fight back: Continued

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advice would be good

Originally posted by Bernard View Post
    Just to confirm that I have left Montpelier. I am now the MD of a company called Boston Tax Limited, the recently established tax arm of Boston Limited, a Corporate Service Provider based here in the Isle of Man. The parting was not acrimonious.

I left to further my career believing better opportunities for me existed elsewhere.

For what it is worth, I am happy with the Montpelier tax planning that was in place up to when I left a few weeks ago.

Bernard
    Hi Bernard. It is nice to hear that you are happy with the tax planning that was in place up to a few weeks ago. Unfortunately there are mysterious forces at work that are NOT as happy as you are.

Yes, some advice would be good. What can we expect now... what is the likely outcome of a JR - then what happens - then what happens - etc. There is a lot of speculative thinking going on here - but it would be nice to get some feedback from an expert.

My current thoughts are that this situation has never been fully tested though the courts; thus nobody really knows what is going to happen. However, hearing your honest, professional thoughts on this matter would be a great advantage to a lot of us to enable us to plan what to do next. Should we be as worried as some of us are?
    Last edited by Ratican; 8 September 2008, 14:14.
    Sunt Lacrimae Rerum

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      Yes. We moderate new users and give them restricted rights until they reach a set post-count. I have now upgraded your account though as can see you are not a SPAM bot...
      Any chance you could the same for me please?

<admin comment>Done</admin comment>

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkwind View Post
        Any chance you could the same for me please?

<admin comment>Done</admin comment>
        can I suggest that to prevent this thread becoming cluttered, can newbies (Hi ) please send the Administrator a PM (private message) when asking for account upgrades...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGadgetMan View Post
          can I suggest that to prevent this thread becoming cluttered, can newbies (Hi ) please send the Administrator a PM (private message) when asking for account upgrades...
          Good call. Newbies can't PM but they can use the contact form to get hold of me:
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/sendmessage.php

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            If the police are involved then I recommend anyone who thinks they may be affected to backup their personal data. keep it somewhere away from your home. Anything you have posted can be obtained from CUK/ISP - but in the unlikely event the police decide to seize your pc its not worth losing your personal stuff. Luckily for me this is something which has become a way of life.

Personally I dont see how we can have a "sensible, adult discussion" on BN66 on an open forum. If we are honest then our comments can be read by anyone - who fancies telling HMRC what we are thinking.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for ways round this? Anyone fancy setting up an invite only forum(as they have done on the loans thread)?
            I have PM'd the three users involved - if you have not had a PM then you have nothing to worry about. The three of you that had a PM from me also have nothing to worry about either in all honesty, the powers that be simply want a polite chat.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGadgetMan View Post
              Sorry - didn't know how to do that.

I have posted a couple of times actually but I think the message got lost in the delay between my writing it and it being vetted and put on the forum.

Essentially I was interested if any of the other people planning on using an offset mortgage had considered paying the mortgage off completely (assuming they had sufficient funds) as I would guess / hope that HMRC would have more trouble extracting the cash from your property rather a savings account linked to the mortgage.

Comment

Well, here we are on the new BN66 thread

I guess another useful lesson learnt today is that your posts on here ARE read by the Inland Revenue with great interest.

Therefore, it would be wise not to discuss correspondence from Montpelier and in particular information related to the upcoming Judicial Review that could help the Revenue's case.

Also, if you were thinking of doing a runner to Panama, this is probably the best place to broadcast it
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Well, here we are on the new BN66 thread

I guess another useful lesson learnt today is that your posts on here ARE read by the Inland Revenue with great interest.

Therefore, it would be wise not to discuss correspondence from Montpelier and in particular information related to the upcoming Judicial Review that could help the Revenue's case.

Also, if you were thinking of doing a runner to Panama, this is probably the best place to broadcast it
                  Indeed. And this thread is also used to gauge our moods and opinions. e.g. I can't see many replying to hawkind's post under an open forum like this.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Indeed. And this thread is also used to gauge our moods and opinions. e.g. I can't see many replying to hawkind's post under an open forum like this.
                    Of course it is somewhat gratifying to know that the Revenue have spent hours trawling through all this waffle when they should be getting a case together
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

They dont need to.. according to Brillos article they have employed peopel from the private sector to do their work so guess they have time on their hands...

Comment

Working...
                      X