• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

10k mileage used up, what next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10k mileage used up, what next?

Hi all,

I have used up my 10k mileage claim in 4months so now down to 25p a mile. I recorn I burn about £25 per day on petrol for 125mile round trip which is about the cost of a B&B near the client

Now I have to think about depreciation on my X5 and the rising cost of diesel.

Whats now my best option of having more money in my pockets? (or taking more from hector)?.

I dont really want to buy a banger to do the journey as I have a minimum of 4 months left on contract and posibly would not want to renew should i get something closer to home, but then again finishing a contract in november aint always the best thing?.

.... and no wise cracks either........

css_jay99

change client/location? As far as I am aware (from my accountant) you can restart the 10k when you change locations......

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
      change client/location? As far as I am aware (from my accountant) you can restart the 10k when you change locations......
      Not strictly correct.

You can re-start the 10,000 rate when you change employments. So if you were with an umbrella upto 31/07/08 and then started your own company, the 10,000 mile clock would start from zero.

The mileage rates are per tax year and do not reset when the location is changed.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
        Hi all,

I have used up my 10k mileage claim in 4months so now down to 25p a mile. I recorn I burn about £25 per day on petrol for 125mile round trip which is about the cost of a B&B near the client

Whats now my best option of having more money in my pockets? (or taking more from hector)?.

I dont really want to buy a banger to do the journey as I have a minimum of 4 months left on contract and posibly would not want to renew should i get something closer to home, but then again finishing a contract in november aint always the best thing?.

css_jay99
        I reckon your fuel consumption figures are out a bit. £25 for 125 miles? Or is it 125 miles each way?

For the former that means you are doing less than 30 mpg so either you are driving a Ferrarri or drive like you wish you were...

At 125 miles a day you should be claiming £31.25 a day.

Edit. Missed the fact that you drive an X5. Change it or drive summat cheaper to run
        Last edited by DaveB; 4 August 2008, 13:37.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Not strictly correct.

You can re-start the 10,000 rate when you change employments. So if you were with an umbrella upto 31/07/08 and then started your own company, the 10,000 mile clock would start from zero.

The mileage rates are per tax year and do not reset when the location is changed.

Alan
          I did not know that - you may have just caused a lot of contractors to go on an umbrella co. merry go round to keep the 40p per mile allowance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
            Not strictly correct.

Alan
            What if I travel on business for more than one employment?

If you have two or more employments that are associated then your business travel for both is added together to work out when you are no longer entitled to the higher mileage rate for business mileage in a car or van for that tax year.

Employments are associated if they are

* with the same employer, or
            * with different employers who are under the same control, for example, two different companies in the same group of companies.

If the employments are not associated you are entitled to the higher mileage rate for business mileage travelled in each employment as though you did not hold the other employment.
            Alan,

Is there not a risk that HMIT might take the view that the employment was connected if the client didn't change (i.e. the list of associated is only exemplary not absolute).

[I ask because a mate has been recently TUPE'd and the advice they were given was that even though it's a new employer it was associated so the clock is not reset]

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              Alan,

Is there not a risk that HMIT might take the view that the employment was connected if the client didn't change (i.e. the list of associated is only exemplary not absolute).

[I ask because a mate has been recently TUPE'd and the advice they were given was that even though it's a new employer it was associated so the clock is not reset]
              TUPE is a whole different kettle of fish. unless harmonised, it is likely that the previous T&Cs are still place and the new company is just continuation of service.
              I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                Hi all,

css_jay99
                I was similar to this. I do 160 mile a day commute and quickly used up the 10k miles. But so what? You bought a car you wanted so why worry about putting miles on it and its depreciation?

Your car is worth a lot less because of its engine size already plus, the new tax rates are also affecting residuals even though they dont fully come into force for at least a year.

TBH, drive your car and enjoy it. Sleeping ina B&B isnt worth it. BTW I have a 3 series diesel that's now got 108k miles on it.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  I reckon your fuel consumption figures are out a bit. £25 for 125 miles? Or is it 125 miles each way?

For the former that means you are doing less than 30 mpg so either you are driving a Ferrarri or drive like you wish you were...

At 125 miles a day you should be claiming £31.25 a day.

Edit. Missed the fact that you drive an X5. Change it or drive summat cheaper to run
                  I spend around £120 for 5 days journey to work with a little left in the tank. that gives me so about 630miles on about 90litres. Thats about 31mpg. I recorn £25 per day, same cost as a B&B. Ok Mileage claim gives me £31.25 as you said but I am pilling the mileage on and car depreciating at an alarming rate!

I dont really want to sell the car for something small as This is the only bit of luxury I have treated myself to after driving my previous 17yr old bmw 3 series for 9yrs before the head gasket failure when i started this gig.

Would buying a cheap diesel car for about £1000 as a company car be beneficial?. company can pay for the business miles and i would not use it for personal use. will this imply a nil BIK?. This way, i save my x5 from high mileage and garage costs

i really dont know why the govt is not increasing this 40/25p allowances.

css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    BTW I have a 3 series diesel that's now got 108k miles on it.
                    I managed about 260k miles on my previous 320i. sad to see it go

Comment

Working...
                    X