• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P4, NoLongerLimited, ParasolIT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P4, NoLongerLimited, ParasolIT?

Hi,

I'm new here. The main reason I'm here is to find out what real experiences other contractors are having with umbrella companies.

A little history: (skip this paragraph if you like)
    I used to be on PAYE with a management consultancy and working on an adhoc basis so I definately fall within IR35. I saw an advert for Prosperity4 and looked into using an umbrella. After many conversations with Raj, I decided that even though their calculation didnt quite add up, it would be more cost effective for me to use P4 than be on PAYE.

I have been with P4 for 3 weeks so far. I am still waiting for confirmation of any payments recieved from my invoices and now I realise that 6% is actually quite a lot for commision. Also, getting paid at the end of the month is not in my best interest when I'm invoicing weekly.

I've read some pretty bad reviews on P4 so far. But it seems that many of the charges/claims are outdated now. I have been assured that only 6% before tax is deducted from my money and they offer £24/day dispensation in London.

After reading these bad reviews, I am looking at better options, NoLongerLimited and Parasol are the two that I am looking into.
    So far, I haven't found any feedback on NLL. From my conversation with them, it seems that they will be able to offer me more savings than ParasolIT.

Can anyone out there shed some light on the differences between these umbrellas?

thanks.

Why not start your own Limited Company, that way you are in control and should only have to pay an accountant £60 -> £80 a month.

If you want to roll over and sit in the IR 35 basket, then you still get to keep 5% for toys (err umm expences) or dividends and if your turning over enough (but not too much) then check out the flat rate VAT scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali
      working on an adhoc basis so I definately fall within IR35.
      Are you sure about that? Ad hoc working usually suggests completely the opposite as there is little to no mutuality of obligation.

Ditch your umbrella and get your own limited is my advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
        Are you sure about that? Ad hoc working usually suggests completely the opposite as there is little to no mutuality of obligation.

Ditch your umbrella and get your own limited is my advice.
        Yes, because I get my work from a consultant, who is effectively my line manager. I normally work normal working hours - 9-5:30 with 1 hr lunch. Both P4 and NLL think this falls within IR35.

I used to have a ltd, but I was never good with the paperwork. People don't always pay on time or the right amount, etc. I like the idea of just having to fax over a timesheet at the end of the week and someone else chasing payments. Parasolit charge a fixed fee (i think £55/month) so won't that work out cheaper than paying an accountant?

Comment

I think that you need to check P4's leaving fee before you tell them you want to leave.

I know a couple of people who have been stung by them holding onto their final payment because they haven't earned them enough in fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali
            Yes, because I get my work from a consultant, who is effectively my line manager. I normally work normal working hours - 9-5:30 with 1 hr lunch. Both P4 and NLL think this falls within IR35.

I used to have a ltd, but I was never good with the paperwork. People don't always pay on time or the right amount, etc. I like the idea of just having to fax over a timesheet at the end of the week and someone else chasing payments. Parasolit charge a fixed fee (i think £55/month) so won't that work out cheaper than paying an accountant?
            The reason they may be saying that is because it is more convenient for them. They will not necessarily have your best interests at heart and are certainly not employment law experts. In what way then is your working arrangement ad hoc? If there are ever occasions when there is "nothing to do" and you are effectively "sent home", there is no MOO, therefore it is not an employment type relationship, disguised or otherwise.

There are plenty of accountants who will run your limited for you, including all your paperwork, for that sort of fee. All you have to do is keep a shoebox of receipts and write yourself the occasional paycheck.

Comment

I was with P4 for over a year - no problems at all. My only comment about them is that they promote their expenses dispensation, however, no matter what they say, you must only claim for expenses that you have actually incurred.
              They told me to claim the maximum allowed under their dispensation scheme (something like £75 per night for a hotel even though I was staying in a bedsit that cost nowhere near that much).

If you take away the expenses allowed from their net pay figure, then they are not such a good deal given the amount you are paying them. However, if you want to take a chance on not being investigated by the IR (for your expenses), then go for it - you'll be quids in.

Comment

I think I will look into my own ltd again after a year or so. But for now, I think the umberlla is probably the best way to go. I've been assured that there is no pay holding or leaving fee from P4. But I'm thinking of moving from them because they pay monthly and charge 6%.

NLL - there isnt much comment on them at all and I was really hoping to get some feedback on them as I think they work out cheaper.

ParasolIT - can't claim as many dispensations, but they have a fixed fee so I can take home more if I earn more. I think, lol.

Basically, I think I've read enough good things about Parasol, but am thinking that NLL also offer a VAT return option and possible lower commission that might work out better. I checked them out at companies house - they have only been running since 2001. Apart from that, I haven't managed to get any other info - no one seems to have anything to say about them - good or bad - is that a good thing?

Comment

Ali, you need to bear in mind that expenses have to be legitimately incurred in order to withstand HMCR scrutiny even if you are using a brolly. A lot of brollies will have you believe this isn't so, but they are wrong. They do it because it makes their analysis of your take home look good. Don't forget, it's you that picks up the tax bill, penalties and fines when your expenses are challenged, not your brolly. Make sure you can back up those £75/day (or whatever) expense claims with some legitimate looking paperwork.

Comment

Absolutely,

I only claim travel (train tickets and mileage) My company pays for overnight stay so I don't need to claim that. I can't claim phonecalls because of inclusive minutes or broadband. I can't think what else to claim to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                    X