• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming back expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Which goes back to my original point. If it's illegal it's more likely to be unethical than if it isn't.
    I think it is the individual's duty to pay, legally, as little tax as possible. It's the government's duty to get us to pay, legally, as much tax as possible. I don't find avoidance through loopholes unethical. I do find evasion unethical.
    And that's your opinion, and welcome to it. It doesn't make it an absolute truth though. Personally I don't see any difference between you and he. You are both reducing your tax liabilities by contriving to use a weakness in tax law. And that's my opinion, and welcome to it.

That's the point - you'll never convince me, him or anyone else that you are right and we are wrong, we all go on our own ethical compasses, so why bother?
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
      ... You are both reducing your tax liabilities by contriving to use a weakness in tax law. ...
      I'm not. I take income solely though salary and allowed expenses. No divvies. I don't live or work in the UK.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm not. I take income solely though salary and allowed expenses. No divvies.

And since that's what I do, you're a fantastic top bloke!
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Damo1176 View Post
          I do the same job as these people, get the same rate as these people yet earn thousands less cos I follow the rules. On bad days it's makes me envious and very annoyed that they get away with it. Am I not allowed feel that way and vent mu fury Davie?
          This is what I was talking about.

Don't view it as "your colleagues are getting away with paying less tax", you need to see it instead as "your colleagues are committing tax fraud".

You'll feel better, believe me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            This is what I was talking about.

Don't view it as "your colleagues are getting away with paying less tax", you need to see it instead as "your colleagues are committing tax fraud".

You'll feel better, believe me.
            I tend to view it as "Whatever, they won't be coming around taking away my furniture".

Although looking at my furniture, that might help - I could get some decent stuff then

Comment

It does seem a little foolish to commit tax fraud over such small amounts. If you're going to break the law, at least thing big.

Comment

It does seem a little foolish to commit tax fraud over such small amounts. If you're going to break the law, at least thing big.
                Like a £1000 scanner ?

Comment

No. That's still small. The guys in the BN66 thread are getting close to the idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X