• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Period / Termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice Period / Termination

Hi there,

I'm a newbie contractor looking for some advice.

I've just started a new contract (I'm 2 days in) and the position is not what it was advertised. Obviously the money is fantastic but the role is just not right for me. I've just re-read my contract and it appears that I must give 28 days notice whereas the client can give 5 days notice if they wish. Anyway, I've been offered a different contract from another agency who want me to start within a week. I've looked into the new position/rate and it's great for me. The problem I'm now faced with is how I get out of this existing contract. I really don't want to work 28 days in a job that was incorrectly sold to me as something else - is there any way I can get out of my contract quicker without legal ramifications?

Thanks in advance for your time..... and I apologise if this has been answered already but I'm short on time at the moment so can't search through the previous posts.

Thanks again.

SP.

If the work is not what's specified in the contract, surely this is a breach of contract and you can walk away now?

QB.

Comment

Originally posted by StayPuft View Post
      Hi there,

I've just started a new contract (I'm 2 days in) and the position is not what it was advertised. Obviously the money is fantastic but the role is just not right for me. I've just re-read my contract and it appears that I must give 28 days notice whereas the client can give 5 days notice if they wish. Anyway, I've been offered a different contract from another agency who want me to start within a week. I've looked into the new position/rate and it's great for me. The problem I'm now faced with is how I get out of this existing contract. I really don't want to work 28 days in a job that was incorrectly sold to me as something else - is there any way I can get out of my contract quicker without legal ramifications?

Thanks in advance for your time..... and I apologise if this has been answered already but I'm short on time at the moment so can't search through the previous posts.

Thanks again.

SP.
      How about a death in the family making you unavailable? Or other extenuating personal circumstances.

They might smell a rat - and may threaten legal action. But it is unlikely to come to that.

Do you want to burn bridges though? Sometimes best to see these things out.

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks again.

SP.
        Short on time? Two days in? Pathetic...

You've signed a binding contract on typical business terms. You can leave by working your notice, just like it says and nobody can complain, that's rather the idea of a binding contract. Or you can break that contract and add to the list of contractors who ignore their legal and business requirements to chase some other apparently better pieve of work (hint: it probably isn't better anyway). Your call - but don't expect sympathy.

Next time, make sure you know what you're getting into. You won't want to do this trick again. Go talk to your boss, and expect to be out of the door with no pay at all around five minutes later.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Approach the client. Obviously don't bill for the 2 (3 now?) days done, offer to just walk "and save everyones time, because this is not the role I accepted, and I can't do it"

Comment

the role is just not right for me
            You need to be more specific about why "the role is just not right for me". If the work is in line with how it was originally described, I'd advise you to lump it for the sake of professionalism and repulation. There's no clause in the contract that says you have to enjoy it - you're being paid for it after all.

If the work is completely different and/or it requires skills outside your skillset, I'd suggest you have a chat with the client to highlight this. They'll probably appreciate your honesty and understand that you're not able to do the role justice.

Comment

Double check again, some T&Cs have a clause where you can leave with 1 week or zero notice within the first week of the contact, etc. Either that or you could always sit down with the client and explain the situation and see if they will waive the notice period? Perhaps if they know you are going in 4 weeks anyway they might just say go now as it's pointless you getting started on something which won't be finished?
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Another reason why Clients don't like first time contractors. Bite the bullet, get on with it and stop whinging like a permie.
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Thanks again.

SP.
                  I think you'll find that SP is mine

Is this another "i took a contract but one paying £x more a day came up elsewhere"

Comment

Thanks all for the replies, even the more abrasive ones, lol.

I agree that I should abide by my contract and stick it out but should the agency/client not do the same? The position they have me in does not reflect what was agreed/stated in the contract. I can easily do the job but it wasn't what I signed up for. I'm certainly not looking for sympathy either, I'm merely seeking advice.

Re the new position, naturally, I'd be taking a chance going for it as they could quite easily do the same to me and put me in a different role.... or it could be the job they have advertised (which suits me better than my existing one). The rate is actually the same as what I'm getting now so I wouldn't be moving for the money.

As for 'SP'.... I'm keeping it!

Comment

Working...
                    X