• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG vs QDOS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCG vs QDOS

I will be joining either PCG or QDOS and was hoping for some clarification from anyone who has recently joined either....

With the QDOS Tax Protection product you seem to get the same benefits as PCGPlus (representation after HMRC enquiry including PAYE, tax/legal helpline, draft contracts) apart from the Jury Service and agency failure provided by PCGPlus. QDOS is £99 whereas PCGPLus is £258. Is PCGPlus worth the extra?

QDOS provide representation if you have an enquiry derived from your SA return. Will PCGPlus rep you in this scenario?

from the QDOS website...
    "For your information Qdos Freelancer Tax Protection is the first Tax Enquiry Insurance product to include attendance and representation during PAYE compliance visits through to Commissioners’ Hearing if required."
    Do you not get this with PCGPlus, QDOS seem to be implying that they don't?

I may need someone from QDOS/PCG to get any changes made to my current written contract to ensure IR35 friendlyness. Ideally this would be a legal rep as companies only seem to budge when lawyers are involved. Has anyone phoned the PCG/QDOS legal helpline with this sort of request?

Finally, on both websites, it is still unclear as to what cover is available for previous contracts. For example with QDOS do you need to have each historical contract reveiwed to be covered in the event of an enquiry? With PCGPlus are you automatically covered for representation for all previous contracts. (I have been contracting for 3.5 years and am on my 4th contracts)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

They are not analagous.

QDOS are inter alia an insurance provider and a commercial operation.

PCG are a body representing the rights of contractors, lobbying on thier behalf in Westminster and across the industry and generally providing a support service. Part of that is bundled insurance to cover representation costs for either IR35 (basic) or any Aspect Inquiry (PCGPLus).

The key difference in the insurances is that PCG is wholly unconditional.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have TLC35 to give full IR35 peace of mind. As far as I can tell this is the most comprehensive investigation/IR35 cover you can get.

However I also recently joined the PCG (not PCGPlus) as I want to support the cause (am very pleased with their Income Shifting action) and it's good to have two helplines (QDOS+PCG) for double the advice.

There are overlaps in cover but I am quite happy with this arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
        I have TLC35 to give full IR35 peace of mind. As far as I can tell this is the most comprehensive investigation/IR35 cover you can get.

However I also recently joined the PCG (not PCGPlus) as I want to support the cause (am very pleased with their Income Shifting action) and it's good to have two helplines (QDOS+PCG) for double the advice.

There are overlaps in cover but I am quite happy with this arrangement.
        WHS, but PCGPlus too for the agency insolvency and jury service insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
          I've commented on jury service before. My summons just went back in the postbox with "no longer at this address" on it. Didn't hear a peep after that. Naughty me.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
            I've commented on jury service before. My summons just went back in the postbox with "no longer at this address" on it. Didn't hear a peep after that. Naughty me.
            you devious, duty shirking barstward

Comment

I am thinking that the agency failure cover might be good to have if the current financial turmoil turns into a recession. Jury service cover is also a good idea as it seems a number of posters on CUK have had the summons!

Also, I like the idea that PCG are lobbying on behalf of contractors and not just providing a reactive service.

Does anyone know how the tax/legal helplines compare? Me for this would be one the main benefits....

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                In my opinion these are pretty much worthless. Chances of Jury service are so slim I'd rather take the hit as and when it happens. I might not even be contracting then for all I know.

The agency insolvency is a max of £5K and seems like you have to jump through hoops to get even that plus "PCG’s policy has an aggregate limit of £250,000 to cover all claims made in any one period of insurance. Therefore, if an agency was to fail with 100 PCGPlus members facing financial loss, then the maximum payout would be £2,500. If the full aggregate limit has been reached, no further claims could be accepted."

The more agencies that fail the less you get. As Wreay have gone under recently will there be anything left this year

Comment

What you can do, and <michael Caine voice> "not a lot of people know this" is "top up" your PCG Plus with Abbey Tax directly to give you the same benefits as TLC35. The only provisos are you do have to have a cleared IR35 contract and you must already be a PCG Plus member. This is not a service the PCG offer directly. I found it made a lot more sense to have no overlap between providers and as a long term PCG member it also made sense from a personal point of view.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    "top up" your PCG Plus with Abbey Tax directly to give you the same benefits as TLC35.
                    Interesting....

Ball park figure for how much they charge for the top up? I'm assuming that the top up is the payment of any back tax and penalties should you lose your PCG covered case?

TIA.

Comment

Working...
                    X