• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(Tax Avoidance != Tax Evasion)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If people have an issue with Tax Avoidance, ask them if they use their personal allowance when calculating their annual tax bill... Avoidance is doing anything to reduce your tax bill that is not explicitly banned by law.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Interesting that this should come up now - I wonder if there's a renewed interest in it because the government appears to be being advised by people like this wonk who tell them stuff they want to hear. He apparently makes no distinction.

Comment

I think you're all a bunch of tax avoiders - avoiding tax by not earning as much as I do for my company. By not generating higher earnings, and therefore a higher tax bill, you are depriving the exchequer of much needed funds.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I think you're all a bunch of tax avoiders - avoiding tax by not earning as much as I do for my company. By not generating higher earnings, and therefore a higher tax bill, you are depriving the exchequer of much needed funds.
          I want you on my team immediately!
          When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

My MP tried the Tax Avoiding line on me when we were dicsussing FBT. I pointed out the total tax bill for me and MyCo for the previous full year was a shade over £48k*, rather more than the average working man contributes to his MP's expense account, and if I'm doing tax avoidance then I'm really not very good at it.

* I didn't mention I had two concurrent contracts for a big chunk of it though...)
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The government says they are opposed to artificial measures, hence the attacks on offshore trust/loan schemes.

However, you could argue that the following scenario is completely artificial:

Married couple. Partner A is a 40% tax payer. Partner B doesn't work. The couple transfer all savings into Partner B's name, thus minimising tax by utilising B's personal allowance & 10% band, and avoiding A having to pay additional 40% tax.

Were the couple to divorce, then all assets would be taken into account, including the savings in B's name. Therefore, it could be argued that A has a claim on the savings. Furthermore, since B isn't working, then the savings must presumably have come from A's salary ie. in effect the money really belongs to A.

However, closing this "loophole" would be rejected on point (b) below.

Government Definition: a tax avoidance arrangement is deemed to be artificial if closing it would (a) bring in loads of money and (b) not cost too many votes!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                My MP tried the Tax Avoiding line on me when we were dicsussing FBT. I pointed out the total tax bill for me and MyCo for the previous full year was a shade over £48k*, rather more than the average working man contributes to his MP's expense account, and if I'm doing tax avoidance then I'm really not very good at it.

* I didn't mention I had two concurrent contracts for a big chunk of it though...)
                Is that Fapital Banes Tax?

...good point though. And it is a good response in the pointless-and-shouldn't-get-sucked-into-it-in-the-first-place tax debate with permies, to respond with dismissive "I pay more tax than you, so let's not go there."
                When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

Originally posted by beercohol View Post
                  Is that Fapital Banes Tax?
                  Family Business Tax - do keep up at the back.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Have a look at this blog which has dealt with this issue on various occasions

www.hmrconline.com
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

BTW - the use of != for not equal isn't ANSI/ISO standard is it? Shouldn't it be <> ?

Comment

Working...
                      X