• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancel Standing Order?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancel Standing Order?

I have used SJD as my accountant for a year so, but emailed them 3 months ago to day I no longer needed their services. They confirmed this, but I've just checked my account and they are still taking money out of my account. Do I need to cancel the SO with my bank or should SJD have done that? Also what are my chances of getting my $$ back off them?

Only the account holder can cancel a standing order, so get moving, you will have to ask for your cash back!
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by PeterST1 View Post
      I have used SJD as my accountant for a year so, but emailed them 3 months ago to day I no longer needed their services. They confirmed this, but I've just checked my account and they are still taking money out of my account. Do I need to cancel the SO with my bank or should SJD have done that? Also what are my chances of getting my $$ back off them?
      Yes.

They have not taken your money you have given it to them. Standing Orders are a push payment where as Direct Debits are a pull payment...if you get what I mean. SO its hardly their fault.

I'd say you have a very good chance of getting your money back they are a reputable company from the experiences people mainly have with them.

I mean I assume that you did try and phone them up before posting here otherwise it just looks like an attempt the spread malicious posts about SJD over the board.

Comment

You need to cancel the standing order because that is an instruction to your bank from you to send money away on a regular basis.

This is different from a direct debit which is an instruction to your bank to allow someone to collect money from your account on a regular basis.

This is basic stuff, why do I get the feeling these days that everyone was born yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          You need to cancel the standing order because that is an instruction to your bank from you to send money away on a regular basis.

This is different from a direct debit which is an instruction to your bank to allow someone to collect money from your account on a regular basis.

This is basic stuff, why do I get the feeling these days that everyone was born yesterday
          Do try to keep up old chap.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Do try to keep up old chap.

I see that as I am such on old-timer I am not able to match the speed of your youthful typing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              I'm still occasionally troubled by Descartes's suggestion that the entire universe, incuding myself, might have only been created just now, with memories of the fictitious past built in to my consciousness

Comment

Your chances are 100%. Drop me a mail if you've not already mailed your account manager.

Happens quite a lot by the way.
                P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Working...
                X