• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting equipment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Not at all Mal.
    Yes at all. If you personally earn income from YourCo by renting things you personally own out to YourCo, it's taxable.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Yes at all. If you personally earn income from YourCo by renting things you personally own out to YourCo, it's taxable.
      That is what I said if you read the original post...

Which is the point I was making:

Mal: He hasn't thought this through
      MM: Not at all.

It was a touch of irony. Perhaps I should highlight the important parts for you in future.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

So long as there is no significant personal use?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/ebi.../computers.htm

I guess if anybody asked, I'd just lie.
        Before 6 April 2006 there was an exemption for the first £500 of the cash equivalent of the benefit associated with a computer loaned by an employer to an employee. This exemption was abolished from 6 April 2006.

From 6 April 2006 a computer loaned to an employee is treated in the same way as any other asset

However, if the computer is provided solely for business use and any private use is not significant, the computer continues to be exempt from a benefit charge
        Define significant. I would argue that my personal computer use is not significant when compared to its business use. Not to mention, all of the computer equipment that my company owns is kept in my office that I run the business out of, not loaned to me as an employee. It just so happens that my office is at home and accessible to me 24/7.

I don't personally see how they could get me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
          Define significant. I would argue that my personal computer use is not significant when compared to its business use. Not to mention, all of the computer equipment that my company owns is kept in my office that I run the business out of, not loaned to me as an employee. It just so happens that my office is at home and accessible to me 24/7.

I don't personally see how they could get me on that.
          You've persuaded me - MyCo will be purchasing a Macbook this afternoon...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

That is what I said if you read the original post...
            It was a touch of irony. Perhaps I should highlight the important parts for you in future.
            Obviously. It's been a long week and it's only Wednesday...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Do you mean on the rental income or on the income from the sale?

I buy a computer in my name for £100, sell it to MyCo for £100? Do I have to pay personal income tax on the £100? I would think no.

But I do believe I would have to pay tax if I rented it to MyCo for say £20 / month.
              In the example highlighted, you would have to pay income tax on the £100 (if you have earned mored than the 5k tax threshold), as you personally owned the computer before selling it to the company, therfore the £100 is classed as income to you for selling your personal property.

If the company bought the computer in the first place for £100, then it is nothing to do with you as you never owned it.

You could buy the computer on behalf of the company for £100 out of your own pocket, then claim the £100 back from the company as an expense. Is this what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
                In the example highlighted, you would have to pay income tax on the £100 (if you have earned mored than the 5k tax threshold), as you personally owned the computer before selling it to the company, therfore the £100 is classed as income to you for selling your personal property.
                Sorry mate, I checked, I'm pretty certain you're wrong about this

(1) See here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/selling/examples.htm
                Example 2 and example 6

(2) When I went Ltd, I sold various computers etc that I had previously owned personally to MyCo, on my accountant's advice. There was no extra personal income tax due on the money I received.

EDIT: the OP was asking about an existing computer he already owned. This is important, witness example 2 above, "His original purchases were for personal use and he is selling items that he has owned for some time"

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Sorry mate, I checked, I'm pretty certain you're wrong about this

(1) See here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/selling/examples.htm
                  Example 2 and example 6

(2) When I went Ltd, I sold various computers etc that I had previously owned personally to MyCo, on my accountant's advice. There was no extra personal income tax due on the money I received.

EDIT: the OP was asking about an existing computer he already owned. This is important, witness example 2 above, "His original purchases were for personal use and he is selling items that he has owned for some time"

Hmmm.....
                  you have sparked something in my memory about being able to sell a certain amount of personal items before having to declare the income, I think £100 is probabally below this limit so in the example I quoted above there would be no tax to pay.

Comment

Working...
                  X