• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting equipment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting equipment

Can MyCo rent equipment (laptop, printer, hard-drive) from myself for a portion of time per month?

Would it be treated as an offset to corp tax liability but income on my SA form?

I'm assuming it's not worth the effort since a search on the board reveals nothing.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Why not sell the eqpt to YourCo?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Why not sell the eqpt to YourCo?
      I don't want my personal use of the equipment to be taxed as BIK?

I don't know - it was just a thought I had.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

No BIK on computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          I don't want my personal use of the equipment to be taxed as BIK?
          Who would know?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            No BIK on computers.
            No, but there would be a tax liabillity on the income received as a result. Hasn't really thought this through, has he...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Can MyCo rent equipment (laptop, printer, hard-drive) from myself for a portion of time per month?

Would it be treated as an offset to corp tax liability but income on my SA form?

I'm assuming it's not worth the effort since a search on the board reveals nothing.
              Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              No, but there would be a tax liabillity on the income received as a result. Hasn't really thought this through, has he...
              Not at all Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Do you mean on the rental income or on the income from the sale?

I buy a computer in my name for £100, sell it to MyCo for £100? Do I have to pay personal income tax on the £100? I would think no.

But I do believe I would have to pay tax if I rented it to MyCo for say £20 / month.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                  No BIK on computers.
                  So long as there is no significant personal use?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/ebi.../computers.htm

I guess if anybody asked, I'd just lie.

Comment

I guess if anybody asked, I'd just lie.
                    say it was R&D

EDIT: Ditto for purchasing things like iPods through the company.

Comment

Working...
                    X