• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One off Contract.... while employed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One off Contract.... while employed

Hi,

Firstly, i apologise if this has been asked before, i did search but came back with nothing.

Basically a contact I have requires a couple days work to be done and because I have the required skills they have asked me.
    I am in full time employment but would like to take on this "one off" contract of literally 3-4 days work. From what i gather "umbrella company's" are not what i need to look at, but i am at a loss as to how to go about it.

Does anyone have any idea how i start going about this?

Thanks

Do it for cash, put the money in the bank, declare the extra income on your next year's SA form. And check your own contract of employment first, just in case you're in breach of that.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If the work is direct with the company then you can do it for cash, on a self-employed basis. It's perfectly possible to be self-employed and have an employer at the same time. If with an agency, then the only realistic alternative is to be an agency employee - i.e. they deduct your tax and NI (if any). You should still declare this on your tax return, as they amount they deduct is unlikely to match your liability, depending on your other employment income.

And yes, make sure you are not breaching your employment contract.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        ... It's perfectly possible to be self-employed and have an employer at the same time. ...
        How do you go about registering yourself with HMRC in these circumstances?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          How do you go about registering yourself with HMRC in these circumstances?
          Why would you need to aslong as it's casual work? As long as you declare all your earned income on the SA form and pay the taxes on it they aren't interested how you earned it, and all the legal bits of your tax position (such as they are) are covered by your real employers.

AIUI if you have a discrete and regular business (ahem...) outside work, you should register as a normal SE - but I'm no expert!
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Why would you need to aslong as it's casual work?
            Good question, maybe you don't.

As long as you declare all your earned income on the SA form and pay the taxes on it they aren't interested how you earned it, and all the legal bits of your tax position (such as they are) are covered by your real employers.
            Probably works like this. I guess they are after folk who stop "work" to become self-employed.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Do it for cash, put the money in the bank, declare the extra income on your next year's SA form. And check your own contract of employment first, just in case you're in breach of that.
              I concur. Apart from the second bit - bollocks to that.

Incidentally, a friend of mine who runs a removals business had a PAYE investigation. HMRC (who apparently were very nice about the whole thing) told him he couldn't do cash in hand work anymore and that he had to take on all his workers under PAYE, even if it was for a days work.

For a second I thought maybe the cash in hand workers were not declaring their income but then I though surely not?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

You DO need to notify HMRC and within 3 months of starting the work. Its self-employment and will need to be taxed accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
                  You DO need to notify HMRC and within 3 months of starting the work. Its self-employment and will need to be taxed accordingly.
                  Won't this start them off with additional NICs etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Won't this start them off with additional NICs etc?
                    No, just take the money. A couple of days won't even notice Two much worry about nothing here. This type of bollox stifles basic business initiative. Go to Italy and see how it is done properly.

Problem now, is that negative thoughts have been sowed in the guys mind, and he might not do it now - not worth the risk This is probably what this govt wants. They hate individual initiative. The client will probably have to pay the likes of Accentuate £2k a day for a grad to do it, taking 4 x as long.

Comment

Working...
                    X