• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

40p per mile mileage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40p per mile mileage

For the divvys amongst us...

Does this mean I can claim 40p per mile from today or is it company tax year when this figure resets?

Cheers.

RR.

Originally posted by richy_rich View Post
    For the divvys amongst us...

Does this mean I can claim 40p per mile from today or is it company tax year when this figure resets?

Cheers.

RR.
    It runs with the tax year.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      It runs with the tax year.
      which one, company tax year or 5april tax year ?

Comment

It's personal allowance, not a company one, so it's the personal tax year.

So yes, from today you can again start claiming 40p per mile.

At least that's my understanding....

Comment

Agreed, absolutely correct. I said "Tax year" as opposed to "Company Year" for a reason , but perhaps should have been more precise.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It does re-start on 6th April each year.

It also re-starts if you have changed your employment, although this will tend to only apply to people who start a new business part way through the year. For the avoidance of doubt, it does not re-start with each new contract.

Alan

Comment

The Business Mileage Allowance for use of private cars for company business is set by the Inland Revenue. Currently it stands at a maximum of 40p and has been this figure for several years. The company itself can pay you less. But you can claim the difference from the Inland Revenue.
              The Inland Revenue sets the rate for each Inland Revenue Tax year which runs from 6th april to 5th April.
              As the rate has not changed for several years, at the moment it is irrelevant whether or not your company's business year coincides with the Inland Revenue's tax year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
                It also re-starts if you have changed your employment, although this will tend to only apply to people who start a new business part way through the year.
                Alan
                That doesn't sound right, if it is personal allowance surely it is 10k per year for all jobs combined

Comment

Danbro Accounting

Originally posted by SteveV View Post
                  That doesn't sound right, if it is personal allowance surely it is 10k per year for all jobs combined
                  Hi Steve,

As I understand it, the 10,000 does retart if you change employment but not if you have control of the companies, ie if you are a Director / shareholder and start a new company the 10k allowance wouldnt start again.

Thanks

Neil

Comment

No. It's as the ACCOUNTANT says.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X