• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unacceptable aggression on CUK

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a load of self indulgent rubbish.
    The other side of your peculiar coin is this

The CUK is a place for bullies and aggro merchants to pick on the vulnerable and those who have human sensitivities instead of showing psycho traits that are the norm in IT, and for people who don't take their professionalism seriously.

Jeeez.....no wonder HMRC love us. Howthey can take contractors seriously about wanting to run a business instead of just trying it on to avoid tax is now very evident. Bullying goes hand in hand with cheating, or didn't you know that?
    Thats very nice of you to put a summary of your post at the top. Thanks Denny. Saved me reading the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
      The point that you are missing is that newbies very rarely get kicked in the teeth. We probably do overreact sometimes when we are having a bad day or when the same question that we have answered in detailed get asked for the tenth time in one morning because the poster couldn't be bothered to look at the first ten posts in the forum.

By and large information is provided and the information is as accurate as it can be. If you actually look at Chris79's posts for example both were answered and while the postings may have been abrupt they were not overly rude initially (although they have started to get that way now)
      I've been on this forum now for long enough to know that the newbie baiting and bashing is frequent enough to justify this thread.

Sure there are some that can take it, maybe even think it is useful for whatever peculiar reasons they have. Good luck to them. But how many who watch or want information are intimidated by the reaction they might get from some posters. Plenty, I expect. I've also had private PMs sent to me from posters expressing their dismay at some of the curt remarks given by Malvolio particularly. So there must be something in what I say.

No one is suggesting that CUK becomes a bland overpolite and boring place to go. A sort of Stepford rendition for IT bods. I love the General forum now and there is always plenty of piss taking and banter going on there, some of which I start myself. So I'm hardly the oversensitive type who disapproves of a bit of banter, provided it is meant in good humour, which I believe it is. But nastiness for the sake of it is not in this league and bashing newbies who are unused to posting or contracting is about as amusing as kicking a kitten around a room.

For the record, some of the responses given by many of the regulars are ill informed anyway, mainly because I've seen how posters want to bury their heads in the sand and only believe what they want to believe instead of facing the harsher facts about EBs, IR35 and other important topics. So perhaps it is those that are the oversensitive ones, not people like me or others to wish to see this particular site moderate its hostile tone which adds nothing the quality of answers given.
      Last edited by Denny; 19 February 2008, 19:11.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
        Thats very nice of you to put a summary of your post at the top. Thanks Denny. Saved me reading the rest.
        Well, you obviously did climb your own particular mountain to read the rest otherwise you wouldn't have bothered quoting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
          I've also had private PMs sent to me from posters expressing their dismay at some of the curt remarks given by Malvolio particularly.
          I dont think that Malvolio likes me very much - he rarely reples to any of my posts on serious threads even re IOM.

But he is the person I would most like to hear from - I reckon his advice is the most highly prized.

He does point the newbies in the right direction.

What I want to know is why they get more replies than me!

I dont care much much abuse he gives - good advice is good advice. The newbies should be grateful.

We are supposed to be bussiness(wo)men - not wrapped in cotton wool.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
            ...The CUK is a place for bullies and aggro merchants to pick on the vulnerable and those who have human sensitivities instead of showing psycho traits that are the norm in IT, and for people who don't take their professionalism seriously. ...
            So why do you hang around here then?

The moderators and owners decree and enforce what's acceptable and what isn't. You're not an owner, you're not a moderator. Same as me. It's not my site, it's not your site - we have no responsibility towards it. I have no say in how it is run. You have no say. If you don't like the way they run things, then go away.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              So why do you hang around here then?

The moderators and owners decree and enforce what's acceptable and what isn't. You're not an owner, you're not a moderator. Same as me. It's not my site, it's not your site - we have no responsibility towards it. I have no say in how it is run. You have no say. If you don't like the way they run things, then go away.
              This isn't what I said, this is the alternative side to what Ferret said.

The reason I hang around here is precisely because I am right on this topic, as you appear to allude to as well. Most people do answer in a neutral and factual tone on these informative sites, and realise that by not doing so doesn't add anything to the quality of their answers.

If the forum was overrun by bullies and warmongers then I wouldn't stay. But there again, this thread wasn't directed at the majority, but at the minority who try and turn these informative sites into an personal ego trip for their own gratuitous entertainment at the expense of others - often enough, in my view and the views of some others on this thread, to warrant some discussion.

So many thanks for pointing out the obvious. It is fortunate that you and I agree, albeit in different ways, that the forum is unnecessarily blighted by the actions of a few which is why you and I are able to talk about it this evening.

Comment

Asking professional people to act professional is a separate issue though, it's an interesting topic to discuss and consider. It certainly makes me wonder how these people who act the way they do on here fair in real life when interacting with other people.

Yes, there is no requirement to act nice or professional on a faceless internet forum, but common decency and a bit of self respect should dictate you do! Piss-taking, sarcasm and bluntness is one thing and quite often taken that way, but when people lower themselves to insults and other personal insinuations (under the guise of newbie bashing for the good of mankind), that's when it becomes 'unacceptable' and something needs to be said or done.
                The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I dont think that Malvolio likes me very much - he rarely reples to any of my posts on serious threads even re IOM.

But he is the person I would most like to hear from - I reckon his advice is the most highly prized.
                  Very true. Malvolio seems very knowledgeable about limited company business admin matters, far more so than me, because I haven't run a limited company for very long and don't intend to work out my own tax affairs but prefer to leave the complexities to my accountant.

I doubt he could outdo me on other big picture issues not business admin' related though, which probably explains why he has acknowledged to me in the past that he passes some of the things I've suggested onto the powers that be at the PCG. Not that they've taken any notice, from what I can see.

Not sure how true the last statement is, therefore, but what I do know is that he appears to have an ego the size of Jupiter and turns a lot of people off, including me, because of his aggressive tone toward newbies and his condescending manner toward all those he considers has less knowledge than him. Please use the search button to find out what I mean. There are plenty of examples. Correction.....jeezz....haven't you heard of a search button, you numpty?

Unfortunately, his credibility is seriously dented by the manner in which he comes across. So he's not really doing himself any favours here.
                  Last edited by Denny; 19 February 2008, 19:58.

Comment

The reason I hang around here is precisely because I am right on this topic

Denny in "SHE THINKS SHE IS RIGHT SHOCKER!!!! "

Someone call Fleet Street.

Unfortunately, his credibility is seriously dented by the manner in which he comes across. So he's not really doing himself any favours here.
                    Oh the irony...

Comment

Sorry but a lot of the things Denny is saying I personally agree with.

It seems to me there is a small cohort of bullies rallying around each other to deflect the truth and point the problem at her, when in fact there there is no justification for it at all and only further strengthens her points being discussed here.
                      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Working...
                      X