• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gym/Health club

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gym/Health club

Since all those expense questions are floating about...

Under what circumstances could I make my membership payments a company expense? Employee benefit perhaps?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

You can expense what the hell you want. The question is; is it a BIK on which you will pay tax?
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

This would also be true, for example, with BUPA insurance?

Think I need to talk to my IFA....
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

This is kind of confusing. I'm sure I've had corporate gym membership before without having to declare it on my P11D?
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I've had corporate gym membership before, as a permie, which got me a reduced monthly fee - that was it. Would like to know how I transfer the same benefits to myself now that I'm both employer & employee.

Comment

BUPA ia a BIK
            Discounted or full price gym membership that is paid for by your employer on a per person basis is a BIK.
            If they have a deal with a gym chain where you get a discounted membership but you pay the fee yourself it's not a BIK.
            If they have a deal with a gym chain where all their employees get membership but they don't pay per person its not a BIK.
            At least thats what I've been told.

Just get PruHealth and get free gym membership.

K

Comment

Originally posted by Keldin View Post
              BUPA ia a BIK
              Discounted or full price gym membership that is paid for by your employer on a per person basis is a BIK.
              If they have a deal with a gym chain where you get a discounted membership but you pay the fee yourself it's not a BIK.
              If they have a deal with a gym chain where all their employees get membership but they don't pay per person its not a BIK.
              At least thats what I've been told.

Just get PruHealth and get free gym membership.

K
              Wot he said.

How much are your premiums for Pru Health.

I see BUPA are now offering this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                Wot he said.

How much are your premiums for Pru Health.

I see BUPA are now offering this as well.
                Except the BUPA one is just a years free and its only at Fitness First.
                PruHealth is for Canons, LA Fitness or Virgin, it's ongoing and and free as long as you go twice or more a week.
                Costs less than £25 a month for PruHelath so even if you only take it for the gym membership its still less than half the price of a basic Canons membership which is over £60 normally.

PruHealth is not the same type of medical cover as BUPA though.

K

Comment

Sounds good, problem is I've joined the local Spa, it's a stressful life you know. £180 a month for me and my wife, it is wonderful though.

I've now talked with my IFA. Membership of the gym through the business is a BIK, no doubt about it. So will scrap the idea.

Thanks anyway guys...

Comment

Understand it is a BIK but is it a justifiable business expense. Ie - no requirement to pay CT on the expenditure?

Comment

Working...
                    X