• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agile/SCRUM and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrum / SCUM agile .. its all a hunk of junk

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Thanks for this - looks like a trip to Waterstones may be in order before someone laughs at me for not knowing about this - anyone got a book recommendation? Sorry for the thread hijack btw.
      Save your money and google.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by someone has my name View Post
        Scrum / SCUM agile .. its all a hunk of junk
        From what I'm seeing of it, I have to agree. Amazes me how enthusiastic some seem to be about it though!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          It's not a managementspeak, it's geek-intelligentsia-programmerspeak. There's some neat ideas (IIRC, for example, that two people working together on one item is more efficient that two people working seperately on two items), and for some projects it could work very well. But most will treat is as the hoped for universal panacea, not do it properly and bin it after a few years.
          Pair programming is part of Extreme Programming (XP), not Agile or Scrum.

Comment

Scrum isn't so bad - actually I think if a person with common sense but no project methodology knowledge was suddenly given a load of work to get through, some people to do it, and somebody else to advise on what needed doing first - they might well independently invent Scrum. It is one of the simpler ones.

Some of the key points of Scrum are
            -the developers choose what to work on
            -the developers manage themselves
            -the deliverables are split up until they're small enough for 1 person to handle, so there's minimal 'collaboration'
            Done properly, it's all about giving people space to do things, and "direction and control" should be conspicuous by its absence.

But as usual, it all depends on how you're doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Pair programming is part of Extreme Programming (XP), not Agile or Scrum.
              Yeah, I didn't RC... The rest was true though.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

regardless of what you think of this whole Agile movement (of which SCRUM falls under), it is a fact that it currently is commanding the best software development rates outside Investment Banking.

Personally, I have found that I enjoy my work more and feel less stressed working in this way. I'll leave the evaluation of its effectiveness over typical waterfall methodologies to the bean counters.

R

Comment

Working...
                X