• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Directors Loan Accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directors Loan Accounts

Calling all accounts experts. I have an overdrawn DLA with a company which until August I was a Director of. This company is going into liquidation and I have resigned as a director. Does anybody know if I have to pay back this DLA and if I don't what are the implications?

BB - not sure what you're asking here.

A Directors Loan is a Loan a Director makes to the company, say to see it through a sticky patch or to cover start up costs.

If you have taken money out of a company, I think this is not very good [ perhaps even illegal ].

Can you provide more details of which way the money went, why are are still not a director, were you the sole director etc...

May be able to help you more then..
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by BabyBird View Post
      Calling all accounts experts. I have an overdrawn DLA with a company which until August I was a Director of. This company is going into liquidation and I have resigned as a director. Does anybody know if I have to pay back this DLA and if I don't what are the implications?
      Short answer is yes, you will have to pay it back if there are any creditors (ie people the Company owes money to).
      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
        BB - not sure what you're asking here.

A Directors Loan is a Loan a Director makes to the company, say to see it through a sticky patch or to cover start up costs.

If you have taken money out of a company, I think this is not very good [ perhaps even illegal ].

A Directors loan account can also be used to borrow money from the company, although there is a limit to the amount you are allowed to borrow (to prevent people borrowing money instead of taking dividends ).
        If I remember correctly, this limit is about 5k.

Comment

A different question on Directors Loans.

I had my accounts done and the div payments were rounded up, this left a surplus of approx £350 being the difference between the divs I actually took say for example £7650 and the rounded up divs for the accounts £8000. I was advised that I could pay this £350 back to myself as a directors loans repayment, thing is I never loaned this to the company, the £350 just came about from the rounding up. Is this ok to do ?

Comment

Originally posted by MobileCheese View Post
            A different question on Directors Loans.

I had my accounts done and the div payments were rounded up, this left a surplus of approx £350 being the difference between the divs I actually took say for example £7650 and the rounded up divs for the accounts £8000. I was advised that I could pay this £350 back to myself as a directors loans repayment, thing is I never loaned this to the company, the £350 just came about from the rounding up. Is this ok to do ?
            Yes, your directors account will just be £350 in credit so you could take it when ever you wanted to.

Comment

Or to put it another way, the company still owes you £350 of dividend payment.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
              X