• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming temporary accomodation allowance if staying with a friend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming temporary accomodation allowance if staying with a friend

Hmm, I always have a hard time hunting down this kind of information so sorry if it has been covered numerous times before

I recently attended a training course away from home for a week. During this time I stayed with a friend who lived near by. I should give her money to cover the hassle of cooking for me and letting me use her spare room, but how would I go about this as a business expense (if it is possible)?

When I worked as a permie I was able to claim this kind of accomodation at a rate of about £20/night + £25 per diem for food allowance.

Is there a website/guide anywhere that covers this kind of information as I always find myself unsure about what I can claim and what I can't

It's a business expense, just like a hotel bill would be. Claim the amount you paid from YourCo as a non-BIK expense claim.

Full details are buried in the HMRC website, but put simply they will regard a small amount paid to friends or relatives (from memory 'small' is up to £25 a day but don't quote me) as an allowable expense. Receipts may not be necessary.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Agree with Mal here, but I would have thought that the person in reciept of the monsy should declare it as "other income" on their tax return to ensure it's accounted for.

Doubt it would ever get investiagted, but....
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Great, many thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
          Agree with Mal here, but I would have thought that the person in reciept of the monsy should declare it as "other income" on their tax return to ensure it's accounted for.

Doubt it would ever get investiagted, but....
          There is a rent level, below which the house owners does not have to pay any tax for income from lodgers.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There would also be costs for them....food, laundry etc

Get some clothes dry cleaned.....job done!

Comment

Here's the lodging link Could be useful for those with children still living at home.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
              X