• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors claiming for allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
    Perhaps once and for all you'll answer the questions, which were raised in response to your message on this thread.

1. Do you claim £26.00 per day, every day for subsistance ?
    2. If you do cliam £26 per day, how much of that can you back up with an actual reciept ?

It's important that you answer this, as the information you gave in your original post was either inaccurate, misleading or just didn't have enough detail to explain to the original guy who asked a valid question.

Thanks
    I explained this before about how much i spend on grub each day, as well as incedental stuff like papers etc. Typical day i spend £20 average some days more. some days i have all receipts and some days i have receipts missing.

And some smart arse will ask.... why are they missing?

Well, they are missing because i am very busy and when you run into buy a paper or your in a rush, or you go buy a drink, you dont ask for a recipt OR i just loose them in the masses of paperwork i have....... If you have never been in this situation, please give me your number, id like to be as organised as you.

For those of you that will ask wel HMRC will knock on your door.....

Let them knock, i wont be in, il be down the pub having a nice bit of scran. O and il make sure i get a receipt.

Comment

I understand you fella. I aint the best at keeping all mine too!!

Comment

Originally posted by eddiegee View Post
        Well, they are missing because i am very busy and when you run into buy a paper or your in a rush, or you go buy a drink, you dont ask for a recipt OR i just loose them in the masses of paperwork i have....... If you have never been in this situation, please give me your number, id like to be as organised as you.

For those of you that will ask wel HMRC will knock on your door.....

Let them knock, i wont be in, il be down the pub having a nice bit of scran. O and il make sure i get a receipt.
        If I don't have a reciept I don't claim - simple as that, I'm probably as disorganised as you, but as far as HMRC are concerned thats no excuse.

I prefer the comfort of knowing that if HMRC call, then I've done everything I need to do to satisfy them.

If you take a chance, fine, but if you're going to give out advise to others make sure you tell them of the risks they are taking by following the same strategy as you.

Good Luck.

PS - You still haven't answered the question of whether you claim £26.00 each and every day - which would look a bit dodgy or claim for what you've actually spent whether you've got a reciept or not.
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

eddiegee
          Not worth listening to
          Never before has the user description been more appropriate.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

and I feel that your an idiot. i understand that I CAN claim the full subsistence
            Without producing a receipt. i understand it's wise to keep most if not all my receipts as i have been told by my accountant several times, which i do attempt to do, and i also understand that averaging £20 a day on food is very easily done, especially when you don’t have time to cook. Full English £5 with a coffee, lunch at pub usually at least £10 with pint, and then dinner - £8-10 quid, then you got to look at snacks that add up.

You get me!!!!
            Anyone who stuffs their fat face with that amount of food and drink each day would be dead within a year.

The HMRC will also think you're talking out of yer arse as well.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Yeah, who'se going to believe the "one pint" story?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

How can you claim breakfast, dinner, snacks and papers?

Just a thought – I noticed the home office have taken a new approach to advertising passports (sorry for slow loading page only reference to the ad I could find at such short notice)– could HMRC be using a similar tactic here?

EddieG – are you Hector!!? The similarities are uncanny!
                Last edited by Jog On; 13 September 2007, 08:47. Reason: just a thought
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

You muppet thats the whole point, i can claim without a receipt, dont mean i aint got one. and your editing is so crap, taking words and trying to be clever. This guy is a total arsehole. Please stop trying to be clever dude its boring.
                  I think everyone here probably thinks you are the a***h***. Goodluck and get lost.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Hello Subramanian,

You can claim your travel costs as you are working on a temporary assignment. However, you can only claim subsistence costs as expenses if they form part of your travel costs; if you are travelling to the same place of work each day there would be no legitimate expense. You can also claim accomodation provided that the cost is an additional cost that you have incurred wholly and exclusively because of the contract. E.g. if you live in Manchester and pay either rent or mortgage but decide to contract in London and rent a flat there to avoid commuting such a long distance the cost can be claimed. However, if you rent out your property in Manchester whilst you are contracting there will be no additional cost to you (as your rent/mortgage costs will be covered by the tenant) and therefore you could not claim the cost of the property in London. Obviously any expenses you do claim must be supported by receipts.

HTH
                    hI lisa,

Its my understanding that subsistence is simply a food allowance during your working day.

If what your saying is.... 'you can not claim subsistence if you are travelling to the same work place each day' iam very confused.

This would mean only the like of plumbers and electricians would be able to claim subsistence as they may travel to 3 or 4 different jobs per day.

So what your saying is that millions of contractors that DO travel to their 3 month assignment for example cant claim sub because they travel to that place each day in that 3 month period??????

its under 24 months so its a temp place of work and they can claim sub and mileage as far as i am aware.

Please can someone correct me if i am wrong

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by andy-moo View Post
                      hI lisa,

Its my understanding that subsistence is simply a food allowance during your working day.

If what your saying is.... 'you can not claim subsistence if you are travelling to the same work place each day' iam very confused.

This would mean only the like of plumbers and electricians would be able to claim subsistence as they may travel to 3 or 4 different jobs per day.

So what your saying is that millions of contractors that DO travel to their 3 month assignment for example cant claim sub because they travel to that place each day in that 3 month period??????

its under 24 months so its a temp place of work and they can claim sub and mileage as far as i am aware.

Please can someone correct me if i am wrong

thanks
                      Hi Andymoo,

You cannot claim a daily allowance for food as it is not a business expense - the IR put it this way:

There is a variety of expenses that the courts have held, because of their nature, to have an intrinsic duality of purpose and as such are not an allowable deduction. These include:

Ordinary ‘civilian’ clothing.
                      Food for sustenance.
                      Having somewhere to live.
                      Wishing to enjoy good health.
                      Wishing to avoid a criminal conviction - especially if there is a custodial sentence.
                      Helping one’s nearest and dearest.
                      For expenditure that comes within these categories you do not have to establish a non-trade purpose; by their nature there is an intrinsic non-trade purpose and any expenditure is disallowed.

HTH
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X